Old 02-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Intro
Hello everyone ... I thought it might be appropriate to take a moment to introduce myself. I just popped in here a while back with a question about circular needles, and now I have a moment where I can actually sit down and think for a moment!

I'm a sahm of 2, and we homeschool. DS is 10 and DD is 6 (almost 7). We live in the Chicago area but have also lived in North Carolina and Kentucky. In addition to my hubby, myself and the two kids, our household includes a Quaker parrot and 3 little Green Anoles (lizards). Needless to say, it's not quiet much around here, and I have to squeeze knitting in between all the other things we try to do. I should also mention that my son is battling cancer for the 2nd time. He was initially diagnosed at age 6, and we enjoyed nearly 3 years of remission before a recent recurrence in November. He is doing well, and his tumor (in his left leg) is responding well to treatment, and so we just keep saying our prayers and enjoying each day as it comes!

I was taught to knit way back when I was a little girl by my Swedish grandmother. I really had never heard of English or Continental knitting until I started picking it back up again in recent weeks. I was reading a review of the book Kids Knitting, and the reviewer mentioned that she was disappointed that the author didn't mention Continental-style knitting. So, that sent me on a web search to figure out what she meant, and that's how I ended up here! I discovered that I am a Continental knitter, and I'm guessing that's probably what my grandmother taught me, because I just naturally started knitting that way when I was going through the book I have.

Anyway, I have enjoyed the conversations out here that I've been able to take the time to read, and I look forward to others. So far I've managed to knit a teddy bear for my daughter and lots of little sample squares. Right now, though, I'm working on a backpack pattern from the Kids Knitting book -- now that I have my circular needle cables all straightened out, that is! I'm also hoping to knit some squares for Warm Up America, and I'm trying to teach my son how to knit, too. He's the one that got us all interested in it again. DD thinks she's too young, but she's gradually getting closer to giving it a try.

Nice to meet you all, and thank you to whomever gave me the wonderful advice on boiling my circular needle cables!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Hi Julie~

Very nice to meet you. I love the personal atmosphere of this forum. I hope you do too.

It is unfortunate that your son has to battle cancer. You will find a lot of support around here. There are a lot of "regulars" with stories of their own battles. We all have knitting in common, but the stories about why we started make this site special.

It's a good feeling to know that I have things in my life that are similar to others. Two of my family members have battled cancer this past year. They have survived it. My brother used to have anoles. He's also had iguanas and other types of lizards that I can't remember. I am also a continental knitter. I hope your DD gets the courage soon to try her hand at knitting. She's most certainly not too young. Tell her that I say, "hi" and I hope she will reply to me

Welcome to my fav place to hang out online 8)
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Hi! I'm from "west of chicago" also, I teach in DeKalb, but live in Dixon (aka "the boonies" don't feel bad if you don't know where it is). Think of all the cool homeschool lessons you can do with knitting once both DD and DS learn!!

Welcome!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Hi Julie!

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your son having cancer. I think that one of the hardest (if not the hardest?) things to go through as a parent is watching your child battle a life-threatening disease.

I find knitting to be many wonderful things, including (usually) being a stress-reliever. Sometimes it's a stress-inducer!!

I live in a Chicago suburb too, but I see that you are west & I'm north. Either way, it's mighty cold, isn't it? Plenty of months to wear knitted stuff!

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Peg
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Julie and welcome! I'm in Illinois too but well south of Chicago by a hundred miles...Hildegard only 'thinks' she's in the boondocks! However I work in Niles several times a month. Those of you up in the burbs are SO lucky to have so many great LYS's close.
Sounds like you've a busy household. Our kids are grown and gone so it's just me, dh and our three canines! Best wishes for your son's recovery.
I'm also a continental knitter...having switched from English shortly after I was taught by a dear friend to knit...at the ripe young age of 50! That was a year ago. :D
Happy Knitting!
Peg
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
Hi! I'm from "west of chicago" also, I teach in DeKalb, but live in Dixon (aka "the boonies" don't feel bad if you don't know where it is). Think of all the cool homeschool lessons you can do with knitting once both DD and DS learn!!

Welcome!
Hildegard --

Not only do I know where that is, but I frequently meet my mother-in-law at the Pizza Hut right off of I-88 when the kids go to stay with her for a few days!! What a small world!

Beldaraan, Kimmie and Peg -- good to hear from all of you, as well! This is just great! (OK -- I've edited this 3 times now to make sure I acknowledged everybody!! )

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
Old 02-23-2005, 12:40 AM   #7
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
DotMom...

Welcome! Glad to have you here and glad that you've found your niche. We're sometimes a rowdy bunch (points to Heldie), but mostly we behave when Amy tells us to.

I wish your family well with what seems to be an uphill battle. I'll keep you in my prayers tonight.

On a brighter note, we have a Breast Cancer KAL going in the Knit Alongs section of this website. I would be honored if you could join us.

Best of luck,
Denise
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by foldedbird
I wish your family well with what seems to be an uphill battle. I'll keep you in my prayers tonight.

On a brighter note, we have a Breast Cancer KAL going in the Knit Alongs section of this website. I would be honored if you could join us.

Best of luck,
Denise
Denise --

Thank you for the prayers. They are what makes this bearable.

I'll check out the KAL. I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that yet. I'm still perfecting my purl. I need to sit down with the 'puter and Amy's Continental-style purling video to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I tried it the other day while I was away from home, and it just didn't look (or feel) right. I need to get busy on that, though, 'cause I'm gettin' real tired of garter stitch!

Thanks for the note. Now,I really need to get something done today!!

Old 02-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome DotMom!

I'm saying a prayer for your son. Blessings to your whole family.

Wow, all of you IL people! My Dad's from Tinley Park (Chicago suburb, I guess, I haven't been there since I was a kid). The Orchard Hill school there (gee, am I even remembering the name correctly?) was founded by my grandmother,, and is still in the family.

Happy knitting DotMom. (Love the name, BTW! Like dotCom, but better.)

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #10
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by amy
Welcome DotMom!

I'm saying a prayer for your son. Blessings to your whole family.

Wow, all of you IL people! My Dad's from Tinley Park (Chicago suburb, I guess, I haven't been there since I was a kid). The Orchard Hill school there (gee, am I even remembering the name correctly?) was founded by my grandmother,, and is still in the family.

Happy knitting DotMom. (Love the name, BTW! Like dotCom, but better.)

Amy
Hi Amy --

Thanks for the greeting and prayers. I have enjoyed your videos immensely. They have really helped me get headed in the right direction!

Tinley Park is SW of Chicago and is about 60 miles from us. (We're in Saint Charles, btw) Don't know anything about the schools down there, though!

Also, I had seen somewhere on your site that you're into Shape Note singing. My children's piano teacher has an interest in that, too, and has hosted at least one sing-a-long here in St. Charles. I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls us into one sometime soon. :-) She knows that I sing, or should I say "used to." Not much time for that these days, but I miss it dearly.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here. I, too, am amazed at how many here are from IL! Maybe we need to pull together a "knit in" of some sort in the future. :-)