Old 02-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
kmmcall
Ribbing the Cuff

Zipper in sweater
Hi there! I've just finished knitting a cardigan (my first adult sweater!! YEAH!). It was easier than I thought and am pretty happy with it. I used Knitting Pure & Simple neckdown jacket pattern #201. The instructions were very clear and I'd recommend it for anyone who is just starting out on sweaters.

Now I have to sew in the zipper and have never dealt with zippers before. The pattern calls for a separating zipper. My LYS told me to base stitch the zipper in place and then hand sew it in. My problem is that the sweater is stockinet stich and the edges where the zipper goes is curling. What should I do? Ignore the curling and go ahead and base stich the zipper in anyway? Helpppp!!!
Thanks!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
knitfun
Ribbing the Cuff

Hey there,

I know exactly what you mean.....I had a sweater that I did just like that curling and all.

I did manage to fix it by crocheting the zipper edges before I put the zipper in. That gave a nice edge to sew onto. Not to mention a nice look too.

I'll take a picture and post it up for you sometime in the next few hours.

Lori
pattern!

Lori
knitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
kmmcall
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks Lori! I'm really glad to hear that there's still hope for this sweater yet...it took me almost a month to complete and I'd hate to have to rip it out...actually I probably wouldn't do that as it would break my heart! :(
Old 02-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
Roxanne
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Roxanne
Did the pattern ask you to knit a band where the zipper will be installed? I just did the ribby cardi and we had to pick up stitches at the zipper edge and seed stitch a band for the zipper to lie.

Here's a good link for installing a zipper from Chicknits.com *

I, of course, didn't install my zipper...I was too afraid a hand sewn in one would come out too...so I had a seamstress do it for me.

*[Editor's note: We can not link directly to this site, per owner's request. So I've removed the direct link. ~Amy]
Gifts for Fiber Enthusiasts: http://yarngiftbouquets.com
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
kmmcall
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Roxanne! Thanks for sharing that link. My pattern didn't call for a band for the zipper...hence my curling problem. I just looked at the link and understand how nicely a band would have worked. Unfortunately I it's too late at this point to add one because the fronts of the sweater would end up bigger than they should be.

Now that I see how to pin down the zipper I just did mine and discovered that the 20" separating zipper is too short!! I didn't realize that you can cut a zipper to make it fit perfectly. Looks like I'll be making another trip down to the store to get another zipper....

I'm thinking that learning how to knit is the easy part...it's all the details and tricks that go along with the knitting that are killing me! Thank goodness for all you generous people out there willing to share your time and knowledge...THANK YOU. :D
Old 02-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
knitfun
Ribbing the Cuff

The first time I tried to post it didn't work, maybe this will.

This is a closeup of the row of crochet I added to the cardigan. It was my first, and not perfect but I am proud anyway!

My zipper was too short and I didn't want to "shorten the zipper, instead I went with the shorter zipper and added two buttons and a chain loop for the closure above the top of the zipper. I'll try to post a pic, it is hard to visualize...

Lori
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	zip_closeupa.jpg
Views:	1084
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	19235  
pattern!

Lori
knitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
Flappy
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Roxanne
Here's a good link for installing a zipper from Chicknits.com *

*[Editor's note: We can not link directly to this site, per owner's request. So I've removed the direct link. ~Amy]
Off Topic: Are you serious? Chicknits won't let others link to "deep pages" on their website? How short-sighted and blustery of them. What publication doesn't want distribution?

Let me guess... we're allowed to link to their homepage, but not to any other page on their site? To maintain the "sanctity" of their user experience?

What a load of hooey. Someone needs to explain the formless nature of the Web and the benefits of the free flow of information to the sweethearts behind that site.

Someone should report them to www.dontlinktous.com, which catalogs stupid linking policies of specific sites on the Web. I especially like the Official Linking Policy of this site, which states:

Originally Posted by dontlinktous.com
The Linking Policy for Don't Link to Us! precludes us from requesting permission to link to a site, and compels us to link directly to the targeted page (i.e., a "deep link") rather than to a site's home page.
Note, I understand that hotlinking an image file is wrong, unless you have permission-- it's stealing someone's creative work and making them pay for bandwidth. But I fail to see how simple LINKS to another website are ever wrong. It's like saying "Hey, Chicknits has some cool stuff... I'll make it easy for you to check out. Click here."
Flappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Actually, we're not allowed to link to any pages on that site. At least, that's my understanding. It's not a general policy, but a stipulation specific to this site. (It's a long story.)

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Flappy
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by amy
Actually, we're not allowed to link to any pages on that site. At least, that's my understanding. It's not a general policy, but a stipulation specific to this site. (It's a long story.)
1. Ooo. Sounds juicy. Is it a long story you're allowed to tell?

2. No matter the history, it's still a stupid policy on their part.

3. Do we need to start rival knitting gangs? Amy and her crew will all wear blue scarves, and the chicknits weenies will wear red legwarmers.
Flappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

LOL. For fear of fanning the flames, I won't go into the full story. (Thanks for being so quick to be by my side, though! Nice to have such a loyal following! )

DH and I have been listening to an audio book of The DaVinci Code. We're on the last section tonight! It's a fun book. I've gotten a lot of knitting done to it! Let's see: two pairs of Fuzzy Feet felted slippers, a knit square for a quilt my co-workers and I are making for a co-worker who's leaving; and now I'm on to a felted cat bed. Knitting and book-listening! What a combo!!!

What'cha working on, Flappy?

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote