Old 02-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
gardenia
1st Leg of the Journey

This is a funny thread. I get the "knitting is for grannies" thing from my little sister, but very few other people. In fact, since I started knitting a lot more lately and taking it to work, almost everyone at work IS doing it now -- not because it is trendy, but because it looks fun or relaxing or they figure if I can do it, they can too. Whatever reason. We are all having fun learning together and helping each other.

I have to say...if an "old lady" says anything about knitting being the "in thing," she is probably glad. Ask her if she knits or knitted in the past. I'll bet she did. There is a 94-year-old volunteer at my work who gives us advice sometimes. :-)

<edit: I swear, Anne and I were writing our posts at the same time about the ROL's!>

Need more coffee...

Deb
gardenia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
Anne
Knitting the Flap

LOL Gardenia...... I went to my LYS today looking for "what's new" in yarn.

When i walked in the door there sat a lovely lady who i would guess to be in her 80"s... Darling lady. She was wearing a beautiful sweater she had knitted in Dec of 2004......( lavendar, blue, pink) with a collar and cuffs in which she had knitted Cuff links to match. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!! Button holes to boot with large pearl buttons.

This darling lady has been knitting since she was 5 years old. I heard her tell a little girl who was there with her Mother how wonderful it was that she was learning how to knit. The little girl ask her if "she would teach her some tricks"...lol.... "Of coarse i would be delighted as i live alone now and would love to have company". They exchanged phone #'s.

I left the store in tears thinking someday i will be OLD wondering if i will be lonely and reaching out for people to talk to.

I can't think of a better way to meet new friends..... Happy Knitting
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #13
shellebelle216
1st Leg of the Journey

I love talking to old ladies about anything. They remind me of my grandmother, who lives far away from me and I miss dearly. I may be wrong, but I don't think it is the little old lady Nik finds annoying as much as the fact that the little old lady thinks she started knitting because it is the "cool" thing to do these days. I don't know how old Nik is, but I am young (25) and I know it bothers me when people think I do something because everyone else does it. Maybe it has something to do with trying to figure out yourself and set yourself apart from others...sorry, didn't mean to get so deep
Old 02-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Isn't the older ladies I find annoying it is the condescending tone. If it wasn’t for the tone I would be more than happy (and have many times in the past) strike up a conversation about knitting or any topic.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:27 AM   #15
eggplant
Ribbing the Cuff

Nik, I wonder if the ROLs are suddenly spotting knitting as trendy because *guys* are now doing it. Knitting guys have been extremely rare in the past, which makes you a target for commentary on recent trends. You probably would have enjoyed knitting no matter what era you were born in, but the fact is that right now, you're kind of in the vanguard, like it or not! I think it's nice that you have the opportunity to show people that activities like knitting are about much more than trends and fads. You have the chance to be an ambassador for openmindedness.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:30 AM   #16
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

When people just have the wrong idea, I haven't really found it annoying exactly, so much as I feel compelled to make sure they leave the interraction with the right idea, about my intentions! I definitely don't don an attitude about it or anything. I fully agree with you Anne. I think the connection we have with other people as knitters, and with people who are even just curious about knitting, is a special and even sacred thing. There's not many things that will get people talking easily with you in public. You know...babies, puppies, and knitting! We're a part of a special elite here! It's definitely a fortunate thing.

I think we all get this, don't we? We're not in war mode, just SNB mode.

Unless we're talking about the kind of people who SERIOUSLY condescend, and make a point out of trying to make you feel small, because you're just learning, or you don't know some knitting term or whatever. I've only had one encounter like that, and it got me really upset. Then, they're clearly not striking up conversation in order to make a connection, but rather to put you down. I don't know what Nuno's experience was, or what degree of annoying she's talking about. If she's seriously peeved, it had to be this kind of encounter. In that case, we're talking about two different kinds of encounters altogether.

In any case, I don't think anyone's questioning the wonderful connection and experience you can have with a stranger who wants to talk about your knitting. I absolutely LOVE that kind of stranger! gab gab gab, it's the best way to get me talking!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
— Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:39 AM   #17
eggplant
Ribbing the Cuff

I am an idiot. I saw Nik's name and thought she was a guy -- duh! fooled by the "faceless" internet again!

Sorry Nik! I guess I should just try a little harder in keeping up with who's who on forums and not just randomly read and reply to posts. Sigh...
Old 02-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #18
gardenia
1st Leg of the Journey

Nik,

I'm totally with you on hating the condescension thing. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure I wouldn't handle it well. :x The only teasing I get is from my little sister, who should be careful when I have long, pointy sticks in my hands.

Deb
gardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #19
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Why haven't I met any of these condescending people?? I would just "love" to have my way with them. I can just imagine how it would go:

Condescender: "Oh, you're one of those people that knit...?"
Beldie: "Oh, you're one of those people that rolls her eyes at others...?"
C: "Knitting is just a fad. I don't believe in following a fad just because everyone else is doing it."
B: "I've been knitting since I was five." (Like she really has to know the truth) "I was knitting outfits for preemies and cancer victims and donating them by the time I was 12. Why don't you go roll your eyes at a mirror and take a hike? I have knitting to do."
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #20
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by beldaraan
B: "I've been knitting since I was five." (Like she really has to know the truth) "I was knitting outfits for preemies and cancer victims and donating them by the time I was 12. Why don't you go roll your eyes at a mirror and take a hike? I have knitting to do."
I think I am in love with you.