Old 02-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

FREE PATTERNS section. UPDATE! keeping section w/o images
Update:
Our recent poll has convinced me to keep the free patterns section pages. It appears that 10% of you have found this site through the free patterns section! Thanks for the feedback everyone, your input has been very, very helpful. I'll be keeping the section up on the site, just without all the images I had.

Thanks so much to everyone who was helping me to put together the section in forum thread. I'm sorry you did all that work, only to have me change my mind! I hope you understand. I'll keep that thread up for now, just in case! I sure did feel supported to have everyone's help with that, how I love you all!

Thanks!
3/6/05 Amy

--------------------
my original message:

The Free Patterns section will be removed. Not the forum section, but the section that has its own tab on the top of the page. I've been emailing pattern designers for permission to use their images, and have gotten more "no's" than anticipated. Their reasons varied quite a bit: there were issues with photographers and models needing to be paid if I used the image, and other random reasons you wouldn't necessarily think of. ...Oh well, it was worth a shot!

If you're looking for free patterns, I recommend going here, or here. These are the sources I used to compile that section of my favorite patterns. So it's all there! Thousands of free patterns; just not with images for easy browsing.

No regrets. I learned a lot about copyrights! (Important to know, in this field!)
Amy

later....
With the help of the wonderful people on this forum, the pattern links will be transferred to a single thread on the Free Patterns Forum called "Amy's Favorite Free Pattern Links" (here). There won't be the pictures, but it's a good selection of high-quality links. Thanks to all of you who are already contributing in this effort! You are making it possible!
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
How about if you use links instead of posting the actual patterns? That way, you'd still be able to keep the "Free Patterns" tab and maybe rename it "Free Pattern Links"...

Just a thought ... :|

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
gardenia
1st Leg of the Journey

...or, you could have a section of links to sites that offer free patterns.

I'm glad you're not taking this badly. Anyone who comes to your wonderful site knows you had good intentions. 8)

Sincerely,

Deb
gardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

It was worth a try. I hope no one was too nasty about this issue. It's too bad that it had to be an issue. If anyone used unnecessary harsh words for an unintentional action, then don't let them get to you. I can already imagine what I would have said to those people.....

You have your support group right here. 'Nuff said.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
knitfun
Ribbing the Cuff

Will you be able to keep the info on Reference Books? Or has that been kaboshed too?

You have quite an awesome site, and it's unfortunate that it was too much of a problem for the others....

Oh well, nice try !
pattern!

Lori
knitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Would a simple links page be valuable to you? I guess it could be valuable in that it would be a list of my favorite patterns, rather than "all the patterns out there," lists that the other sites have. So, you'd only click on 550 links, vs. thousands of links. It wouldn't have the images, but it would be something. Would folks like this?

If so, I'll have to ask for your help in making it! I can't afford to put more time into that section, if I'm going to get to shoot more videos any time soon. Here's what I'm thinking....

I could start a thread on the Forum (in the Free Patterns section there), called "Amy's favorite free patterns." I'd make it a sticky, so it was always on the top of the forum. Then, one person could take on the Hats page, another person the Scarves page, etc. They'd just go through my existing pages, and add the links to a single post called "Hats," or whatever. The post would be a reply to mine, so it would all stay neatly in that thread.

What do you think?
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 02-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #7
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Sounds good to me...

Old 02-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Yes I like this idea too and I think we're up to helping out. I really like links to patterns, especially personal preferences. I'd also like to include just the briefest of description with each link too.

Carol

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

HATS
HATS are done.

Did I do this correctly?? :? Did I miss any?

Intermediate Braided Hat Pattern

Intermediate Coronet from Knitty

Beginner Nice Basic Hat

Intermediate No Hair Day Chemo Cap

Beginner/Intermediate Rolled Brim Cap

Advanced Ch'ullu Hat

Beginner/Intermediate Bidda's Head Hugger

Intermediate Cabled Wide Brim Hat

Intermediate Cable Knit Cap

Intermediate Simple Fair Isle Hat

Intermediat/Advance Knot a Hat

Beginner/Intermediate Felted Hat

Intermediate Knit Santa Hat

Intermediate Amelia Earhart Aviators Cap Or click here for potentially easier instructions.

Intermediate J. Crew Style Hat & Gloves

Beginner Quaker Ribbed Bottom Hat

Beginner/Intermediate Rolled Brim Baby hat w/ Topknot

Intermediate Beach Baby Onesy & Hat

Intermediate Ireland Mists Hat

Old 02-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Great, ekgheiy, that's a perfect example! Let me just start the thread in the Forum section....

Okay, it's here.

Would you mind posting it there? You can just click "edit" on the post you just made here, and copy and paste it into a new post on that thread.

Thanks! I love the format you chose. Looks great!!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham