Old 03-01-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

Another beginner's Q about colours
Hi everyone!

I'm knitting a scarf and want to use purple and black either by knitting one row black one purple or one loop black one purple. The problem I found with knitting each loop a different colour is that it changes the pattern and twists the two different yarns so much :x .

What am I doing wrong? Have I missed something?

All your ideas will help.

Tamar
Tamar Dohel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Do you mean that your working yarns get tangled?? :? Well, if that's the case, I don't think you're doing anything "wrong"; that's just the woes of color work. To keep my strands from getting twisted around each other, I pay close attention to my turns at the end of the work. If I turn my work clockwise after one row, I make sure to turn my work counter-clockwise after the next row. Then clockwise, then counter, then clock ... etc. That keeps my strands in order.

Hope that helps a little.

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Tamar!

Horizontal stripes are the easiest. Do two rows with one color, then drop it, and do two rows with the other color, repeat.

The easiest way to alternate stripes vertically, is with Fair Isle technique (see video in the Advanced Techniques section). The back will have loops, but it might not look bad.

Remember to avoid doing the scarf in stockinette stitch (Basic Techniques/ More page), because it will curl into a tube.

Hope that helps.
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 AM   #4
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

Thank you Amy!

I read your advice and decided to do two rows one colour and two rows the other, etc.

It looks better than I though and it also has the benefit of being the same on both sides.

I only wish that I had a digital camera to show you the end result when it's done.

Tamar
Tamar Dohel is offline   Reply With Quote