Old 03-01-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Good substitutes for wool?
I am trying my hardest to avoid wool (so far so good) but I want to knit a hat... practically is there a good sub for it? Just a good worsted weight is all I need.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

It really depends what effect you want. There are some acrylics that are really soft and fuzzy, and some that are wool blends or just sturdy feeling. Some cottons can stand in for wool. I suppose the question I have is why are you avoiding wool? If you're not allergic to it, I wouldn't rule it out. If you're concerned about washability, there are a lot of brands of yarn made from wool, wool blends, or from other natural fibers (Debbie Bliss, for example) that can be machine washed. Go by the weight equivalent first, and then texture. But I can't really suggest much more unless I know what you're going for.
mascarasnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Quote:
I suppose the question I have is why are you avoiding wool?
Ethical reasons. I try and avoid animal products.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

Gotcha. Yeah, then go for cotton, acrylic, rayon...there are lost of synthetic blends that are nice. If you have a LYS you can go to, they can certainly tell you where to look. It's not all icky red heart acrylic hee. Just look for worsted weight and you shoudl be alright.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
feministmama
Instepping Out

Ya know there's a new acrylic out there called TLC (I think it's made by red heart. It has a picutre of a little kitty cat on it) but it doesn't feel like fiberglass. It actually feels soft and comes in lots of colors, even varigated. I was a wool snob. Only wool for me. and I had no qualms about it. THey didn't kill the animal so I thought it was OK. I have since met lots of vegans and now I know another perspective. But.... I still use wool. So I tried some of this TLC acrylic to expand my options and it's not bad. It comes worsted and bulky. And it is super cheap. Is cotton vegan?
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
Ya know there's a new acrylic out there called TLC (I think it's made by red heart. It has a picutre of a little kitty cat on it) but it doesn't feel like fiberglass.
I've worked with TLC CaraMia and it's soft and wonderful and makes great, warm, hats and scarves, etc. Looking at a leftover label, it's a cold water, gentle cycle, machine washable, medium, worsted weight yarn:

50% Acrylic, 19% Nylon, 18% Rayon, 13% Angora

One note of caution. For Xmas presents, I made 2 black/white combo scarves with Charcoal & Winter White. While washing in plain, ice cold water to block, I had a major dye bleed problem with Charcoal. I ended up with 2 (still adorable puppy themed) black/grey scarves. An old Red Heart acrylic fan myself, who'd have "thunk" it about dye bleed? I guess we all have to live and learn and boy, did I. :x

I called and wrote Coats and Clark (yes, they were very concerned) and was sent an envelope to enclose samples of the washed and unwashed yarn. I'm told I'll be receiving replacements skein's as an apology and thank you for reporting the problem.

Been about a month since I submitted the samples, but I'm patient and glad to know an American company is standing behind their product. Since I sent in the color's skein labels, I have to rely on memory....I think they were dyed in Mexico.

I'd recommend a hat using CaraMia, it's very soft and pliable as yarns go, although perhaps a tiny bit snaggy on the (Red Heart Crystalite) crochet hook I used. Because of my personal experience, I'd play it "better safe than sorry" with any of the TLC dark yarns for now anyway. Be sure to test your gauge swatch for colorfastness in a cold hand wash prior to making a complete project.
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:52 AM   #7
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

good recommendation, happenin, but angora is from bunnies. Debbie Bliss makes some nice non-wools...
Old 03-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Holly
Knitting the Flap

I'm working with the TLC baby yarn right now, and it is very soft and cuddly. The only down side is the yarn tends to split, and that has been a real pain in the butt.

Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote