Old 06-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
giedre11
Ribbing the Cuff

Saw this post and just had to reply after lurking here a few days! EZ, to me, is the queen of knitting! She was the most knowledgeable {SP??} person in regards to knitting I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Went to one of her knitting camps in Wisconsin in the 80's and had a blast. At that time I had been knitting a few years and thought I couldn't learn anything new...gosh was I wrong!! That experience opened up my eyes and left my mouth hanging open, lol! Her books and patterns are the bomb. I just can't say enough good things about her and her daughter Meg Swansen! Unfortunately EZ passed away...I think it was 1994?? I am in the process of collecting everything she has published.
Oh, and hi! This being my first post just wanted to say what a great forum this is! Have recently gotten back in to knitting and crocheting after a number of years...gosh there's some great new yarns out there! I've already gotten several projects going. It's not easy having to re-learn what I've forgotten, but every day is getting better. Thanks for letting me be part of this forum!
giedre11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
marykz
Working the Gusset

Personally, I'm not crazy about EZ's style of writing patterns.... but that's just because I'm a little, um, compulsive and I like things clearly written out.

I do love her ideas for understanding your knitting, reading the stitches and knowing why they look the way they do, and I like the stories on their own, but not for actually knitting.

I know, blasphemy, right?
(sigh)

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Braden
Instepping Out

LOVE HER! I've read all of her books at least twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
samm
Turning the Heel

I'm a real EZ fan! I have Almanac and Knitting Without Tears and even if you never knit a thing from them, her writing is fabulously friendly and it's like sitting with her having a cuppa and talking about knitting. I've learned things I've not seen elsewhere, from reading her books. EZ had an interesting approach to her knitting. The Baby Surprise Jacket is wonderful, a real different approach to construction. The child's Tomten sweater is timeless. The people I hang out with in Babysweaters at yahoo like both patterns a lot. I've been collecting her patterns and books. I just bought a best of Vogue book yesterday and there are some EZ patterns and some from her daughter Meg Swanson. Count me as an EZ lover! samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
zip

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Your link doesn't work and I don't see any new books. What is the name of it...
Jan, it appears to be her Knitter's Almanac. Knitpicks has it tagged as new, so I'm guessing it's new to them. Putting it on my to-buy list.

Originally Posted by giedre11 View Post
Saw this post and just had to reply after lurking here a few days! EZ, to me, is the queen of knitting! She was the most knowledgeable {SP??} person in regards to knitting I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Went to one of her knitting camps in Wisconsin in the 80's and had a blast. At that time I had been knitting a few years and thought I couldn't learn anything new...gosh was I wrong!! That experience opened up my eyes and left my mouth hanging open, lol! Her books and patterns are the bomb. I just can't say enough good things about her and her daughter Meg Swansen! Unfortunately EZ passed away...I think it was 1994?? I am in the process of collecting everything she has published.
Oh, and hi! This being my first post just wanted to say what a great forum this is! Have recently gotten back in to knitting and crocheting after a number of years...gosh there's some great new yarns out there! I've already gotten several projects going. It's not easy having to re-learn what I've forgotten, but every day is getting better. Thanks for letting me be part of this forum!
You MET her? You attended her workshop? Welcome to KH! I've been mostly away from knitting for several years, too. Now I want to knit everything today.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #16
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I have a few of her books
A friend gave me an older version of her "Knitting Without Tears" book and I recently ordered her "Knitter's Almanac". I've heavily skimmed thru the first book and still not sure I "love" her books but I will see how I feel about the second one.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #17
french kiwi
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Skype™ to french kiwi
EZ rocks! As many of you, i've never actually knitted anything from her, but i love reading her stories. I have three of her books, and they all have that unformal wit about them.
She's gonna be a tough one to match!
french kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #18
AnaK
1st Leg of the Journey

I have her Knitting glossary dvd and Knitting workshop dvd. I watch it often. Love it
AnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #19
Tutu Carol
1st Leg of the Journey

I loved her books as well, and you are so right, her patterns are very out of date. That is why I frogged the one I made, SHE was right on w/her percentages, I was just "young & dumb" & really didn't grasp what the sweater would really look like!