Old 03-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

making a simple small pouch
Well, it started out as just a tester cloth for knitting with 4 needles following Amy's video on this subject while I was waiting untill I was able to go into town and pick up some nice yarn to make something else.

After a few tries I had finally figured it out and got a few inches of knitted "tube" (it looks like the edge of a sweatersleeve). I was about to rip it out again because I feel I've got it figured out and I had no idea what to do with this little piece of knitting.
but today I bought a new cell phone and it's tiny and so nice and new that I would like to have it live in something protective while it travels in my bag and I noticed that my little knitted tube is just wide enough to hold the phone. YAY!!! So I'm going to add a bit more lenght to it untill it can fit the entire phone but here comes my question:
does anyone have a nice way of closing both top and bottom? I was thinking of maybe just decreasing my stitches untill there are just a tiny few left and tie it shut so I'd have a bottom and maybe at the top I could threat some sort of elastic through it?

I was originally thinking about neatly ending half of the stitches I have on the needles when it is high enough for my phone and keep knitting with the other half to make a small flap which can close over the top, which I think would look nicer, but by doing it that way I'd still have one open side and I don't know how to neatly make a bottom on that side.
Any other ideas from you guys?

/Karen.
SimplyKaar is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

*bump*

Even after a good nights sleep; still no idea's?

Otherwise I'll just have to figure something out as I go. If all else fails I'll just and start over, this time actually knowning what I'd like to make out of it
Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
javede
Knitting the Flap

Re: making a simple small pouch
Originally Posted by SimplyKaar
I was originally thinking about neatly ending half of the stitches I have on the needles when it is high enough for my phone and keep knitting with the other half to make a small flap which can close over the top, which I think would look nicer, but by doing it that way I'd still have one open side and I don't know how to neatly make a bottom on that side.
/Karen.
I like this idea more. Do you know how to sew seams? Cause you could just sew that bottom seam. That would also be much more stronger than the other version of pulling the last stitches tight,you know.
You would use an easy backstitch, which mostly gets used for the bottom or sides of bags, cause it's stabilizing the seam.
javede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by javede
/Karen.
I like this idea more. Do you know how to sew seams? Cause you could just sew that bottom seam. That would also be much more stronger than the other version of pulling the last stitches tight,you know.
You would use an easy backstitch, which mostly gets used for the bottom or sides of bags, cause it's stabilizing the seam.
Thanks for the reply; I would like to have the flap if I can find a nice way to close the bottom. I don't know how to make seams in knitting (I can make seams in clothing but I suspect it's a bit different, right?) but this is just as good an opportunity to learn as any :D

I'll see if I can find something about backstitches when I get home and, if you happen to have a link or if you could explain it to me: I'd be very grateful too!

/Karen.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

There are lots of different types of stitches you can use to close things depending on whether or not you want the stitches to show (they can be decrative as well as functional).

Since this is going to rattle around in your bag, experimenting might be the best way to go. Also, most knitting books have sections on seaming. You may want to try it with a contrasting yarn and see how it looks, then rip out the seam and do it for real.

One word of advice, when you are stitching make sure you sew more than one strand of yarn from each edge you are sewing together. Generally, you want to bring the yarn needle through the gaps in the knit stitches; just make sure you're about two strands of yarn from the edge. That doesn't make sense to read back, but take a look at your knitting and see if you can figure out what I'm saying.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by yellowness
There are lots of different types of stitches you can use to close things depending on whether or not you want the stitches to show (they can be decrative as well as functional).

Since this is going to rattle around in your bag, experimenting might be the best way to go. Also, most knitting books have sections on seaming. You may want to try it with a contrasting yarn and see how it looks, then rip out the seam and do it for real.
That is clever. Maybe I could do it in a different colour anyway so I can incorporate the seaming in with decorating it... good idea!

Originally Posted by yellowness
One word of advice, when you are stitching make sure you sew more than one strand of yarn from each edge you are sewing together. Generally, you want to bring the yarn needle through the gaps in the knit stitches; just make sure you're about two strands of yarn from the edge. That doesn't make sense to read back, but take a look at your knitting and see if you can figure out what I'm saying.
It does make sense to me: it's like with stitching two pieces of cloth together; you also leave a little room inbetween the edge of the material and where you seam so it won't unrevel as easily.
I'll have a look tonight ; at least I can finish the knitting tonight by making the small flap :XX:
Old 03-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
javede
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the reply; I would like to have the flap if I can find a nice way to close the bottom. I don't know how to make seams in knitting (I can make seams in clothing but I suspect it's a bit different, right?) but this is just as good an opportunity to learn as any :D

/Karen.
If you know how to handsew, you definately know the backstitch. It resembles a common handstitch. Unfortunately I don't know the english word for that :thinking:
Well, I found a picture of the backstitch. Hope it helps!
here
javede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by javede
If you know how to handsew, you definately know the backstitch. It resembles a common handstitch. Unfortunately I don't know the english word for that :thinking:
Well, I found a picture of the backstitch. Hope it helps!
here
That site helps a lot: thank you I can definitely do that one! I do know that way of sewing although I don't even know the Dutch names of the different stitches, let alone the English ones so don't worry about that. That is why they've invented images and such :D
Old 03-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #9
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

Well, I finished it: It came out as simple as can be because I really wanted to move on to other 'real' projects instead

The bottom turned out to be wider because of the way I sewed it close: by doing that I've flattened out the material and that is why it became wider. I don't mind too much right now since it's just a test thingie anyway but should I ever want to make something like this again I would definitely do it differently. Actually: I would have started with much thinner yarn to begin with since this comes out rather bulky.
But the upside of that bulkyness is: I know my phone is far less likely to get scratched when it's in my bag and, when I use a larger bag, I am also able to find it much quicker now!
So it is in active service for now

Anyway: the body of the pouch is made on 4 double pointed needles with 2 knit/2 purl. The flap I made in what I think is called "seed stitch" (one purl, one knit on one row and alternate that on the next row so they form bumps on the material) and I played with decreasing on it too: was fun!!

And here's a picture (At least: I hope it worked)