Old 03-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
youngknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to youngknitter
knitting with two colors...
Hi everyone...I am what I'd like to think as an average knitter but there are many things I just don't know how to do. There is a baby blanket I am trying to make that will adventually have a yellow background with pink hearts randomly knitted...but in my notes that I've recieved as a pattern, the part about how to make the hearts different color were left out. Can anyone help me out??
:thinking:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: knitting with two colors...
Originally Posted by youngknitter
Hi everyone...I am what I'd like to think as an average knitter but there are many things I just don't know how to do. There is a baby blanket I am trying to make that will adventually have a yellow background with pink hearts randomly knitted...but in my notes that I've recieved as a pattern, the part about how to make the hearts different color were left out. Can anyone help me out??
:thinking:
The hearts can be knitted in, but you'd need a chart for that. Did the pattern at least have a chart??

Otherwise, I think you could place the hearts via duplicate stitching after the blanket is already made.

What pattern are you using?? Is it online for viewing??

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
youngknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to youngknitter
two colors
Well, this is a pattern that was written out for me a couple years ago when I started knitting. It was one that my friend had given me but I have no idea where she got it from. I've seen her version of the blanket and I don't know how she did it. I'm pretty sure there was no chart otherwise you'd think she wuold have given it to me eh? Hmm is there no other way to do it?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
kmmcall
Ribbing the Cuff

What's duplicate stitching? I'm making a baby blanket right now and it's pretty plain...seed stitch. I was wondering if I could add some type of emblishment or monogram in one of the cornors. Would 'duplicate stitching' be something I could use?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
@YoungKnitter:

Knitting them in and duplicate stitching are the only two ways I know. Here's and example of what I mean by knitting the hearts into the blanket. For more definition, you could change the color of the knit stitches to make the hearts pop out more. You could also just do the color changes in stockinette if you don't want to bother with texture. (I put together a 9sts color chart below to give you an idea of what I mean. Sorry, it's VERY basic; I'm not an experienced "charter". The one on the left is just an outlined heart. The wrong side of your work will be "stringy" if you choose this way. The right one is easier, I think. Depending on how many hearts you have across the row; you might find it easier to use yarn bobbins). I think the stockinette is less hassle than duplicate stitching. Check out Amy's Videos to see how to physically change the colors. Click here and scroll down to "How to Knit with 2 Colors at a time".

@kmmcall (and YoungKnitter too ):

Here's an explanation of duplicate stitch. I'm not sure if you could do that with seed st b/c I've never tried it. Perhaps you can volunteer as a tester?? If it doesn't work, you can alway just take it out.

Hope this helps a little
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp_802.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	19371  

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome YoungKnitter!

You can also use intarsia. For two color knitting with areas of color that span more than 5 stitches at a time, this is most often the method used. Be aware that with this method, wherever you have a new color section, you need a new strand of yarn. If you have a ton of hearts, it can get tricky just because the yarn strands love to all get tangled. Check out the video in the advanced techniques section.

Good luck on your project!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote