Old 03-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
javede
Knitting the Flap

What about these books?
So, I'm searching for a new knitting book to buy. I only have the S'nB and an old stitch book so far.
The problem is that I can't just go into a bookshop and look at the books since I'm from Germany and they normally don't have english knitting books. The only one I saw sofar was weekend knitting and I didn't liked it that much.

Now I searched at amazon and found a few books that seemed interesting. I put them on my wishlist.
Does anybody of you own one of these? How do you like it? Is it hard to understand? Every comment really appreciated.
javede is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

I was able to look through HotKnits a couple weeks ago and was very UNimpressed with it. My impression of the book was that they were trying to sell a lot of horrid patterns by showing off a lot of cleavage. It really depends on your fashion though. I thought the colours and styles were from my worst nightmare in the 80s. Perhaps you loved the styles from that era and would totally go for it. To each her own.

I also had a chance to look through the Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I have her socks and one of her sweaters on my "to knit" list. I love her attitude. I think I would appreciate her techniques more if I were a bit more experienced in my knitting. I think she's a keeper just for her stories.

Not sure about the rest, but hope you get some more input.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
wildforyarn
Turning the Heel

I just got in the mail today, as a matter of fact, The Yarn Girls Guide To Simple Knits and Kid Knits. I looked through them briefly and like both of them. The only issue I had was with the Kid Knits one. I was hoping for more toddler sizes, like 2T-4T and it has sizes 1-3. If I learn how, I can probably make them a 4T if needed.

Anyway, from first glance, I really am going to enjoy the projects in the Simple Knits book.

wildforyarn on Ravelry

wildforyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:03 AM   #4
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
The only book I have is Knitting in Plain English. It is by the same author as the Sweaters in Plain English. I really like the book I have. It is very clear in its directions. Looking at your wish list made me wish too!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
jkik2478
Casting On

Scarf Patterns
Can anyone recommend a book that has simple and trendy scarf patterns? I'm just finishing up my first ever knitting project (aknit scarf). I want to make more scarfs.

Thanks!
jkik2478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
SnB nation had 4 really nice scarves. There is also a small book I think is called Beginner's book of Scarves. Go to the library and look around they have some really nice books now and you can preview them before you buy them!
Old 03-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
fitcook
Ribbing the Cuff

Scarf Style by Pam Allen is great. Good techniques to learn in the scarf environment that can later be applied to more sophisticated garmets. Offers a really cool twisty, spiral scarf pattern and more than just scarves. Check it out on Amazon; I saw it in person and when I get back to scarves next fall, I plan to buy it and make a few.
fitcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
javede
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for your replies!
I definiately be getting the almanac.
That would leave room(aka money) for a second book. Has anyone looked into the "vintage knits" book?
I like the Top on the front, but don't like the fair-isle sweater-that's too advanced for me.
This book also costs 10€ less ->10€more for yarn....
Argh! I wish I could look into these books before buying! I even had to order S'n'B without looking through it. But I knew the projects from their site cause the display every design on their website. Why doesn't everyone do it like this?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #9
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
I kind of have my heart set on one or both of these:

A Treasury of Magical Knitting

A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting

and this one is kinda cool, too:

Knit Wit : 30 Easy and Hip Projects (Hands-Free Step-By-Step Guides) -- It's a flip-style book that stands up on its own, and it has some rather unusual patterns in it.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
amigarabita
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to amigarabita
jkik2478 --i second scarf style. it is fantastic.

wildforyarn --i totally agree with you about the sizes in the yarn girls book. i love it, but it should be called the yarn girls guide to toddler knits, not kid knits!

my favorite new book has to be last minute knitted gifts. everything in it is great.