Old 03-14-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
Danielle_Thomas
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Danielle_Thomas
I am so NEW I'm GREEN!!!
This was me BEFORE I discovered this site:

Now that I've discovered Amy's site I am closer to this:

And I can't wait until I get to this: :XX:

I JUST started teaching myself to knit yesterday, but by reading the book I bought I could not for the life of me even figure out how to Double Cast On!! Jeesh! Amy, you saved my life..OK, it's not that serious, but I am so thankful you got me on my way! I think I finally got the knit stitch and I'm almost there with the Pearl...

Do you have any pattern suggestions for a newbie? I imagine I'll be making some sort of scarf.

Thank you so much!!!!

Danielle
Danielle_Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Re: I am so NEW I'm GREEN!!!
Originally Posted by Danielle_Thomas
Do you have any pattern suggestions for a newbie? I imagine I'll be making some sort of scarf.
Either a scarf or a couple of dishcloths or towels, they are small & simple & help you learn new stiches & techniques....
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Welcome Danielle! Have you checked out the pattern page? Most of the pictures are down, but if you click where they were, you'll be taken to the pattern (usually another website). Amy has a lot of links to her favorite scarf patterns. There are other patterns too if you don't want to limit yourself to a scarf.

Carol

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Danielle....
Don't worry...if you already got the hang of a double cast on, you're already one of these :XY:

Welcome to the forum!
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Danielle_Thomas
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to Danielle_Thomas
Thanks for the welcome and the pattern suggestions. My goal is to have something done by next weekend.....
Danielle_Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Danielle, I'm a newbie knitter, too; and I can so relate to your frustrations before finding this site and the video's! I have also ordered Amy's CD ( http://knittinghelp.com/purchase-page.php ), which I'm expecting in my mailbox any day now. I can hardly wait. I think I'll quickly go from to :XX: , as well. :D

A question to you who are not newbies, does the addiction slacken any with time? I find myself wanting to be knitting ALL the time! :D
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Rennagayle
A question to you who are not newbies, does the addiction slacken any with time? I find myself wanting to be knitting ALL the time! :D
Hmm?? Does the addiction slacken??

Depends ... it just gets stronger for me. Sometimes I go through stages of non-knitting, but that's only because I can't afford any yarn . Some knitters also find that they are "seasonal knitters" too, knitting more in the winter than summer or vice versa.

Welcome!!!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Since I live in a very hot climate (in the summertime), I've wondered if I'll want to put it away then. I know I don't get in the mood to crochet once hot weather hits, as the yarn on my lap makes me hot. With crocheting, though, I'm usually doing afghans. Having an afghan across your lap when the outside temps are in the upper 90's or low 100's is not a pleasant experience!

I'm just so excited about learning to knit that I have visions dancing in my head of all the nice scarf/hat sets I'll want to be making for Christmas presents, and figure I'll need to knit year 'round to make it happen. Right now, I find myself grabbing my needles at every available opportunity, even taking them along in the car everytime we leave the house (when dh is driving, of course. ).
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Rennagayle
Right now, I find myself grabbing my needles at every available opportunity, even taking them along in the car everytime we leave the house (when dh is driving, of course. ).
I know what you mean! I hardly ever leave home without my knitting. I even bring it to work with me to squeeze in a few sts on my lunch break!!! If I leave the house w/o my knitting, I at least take a book w/ me. You just never know when you'll have some sort of delay. There was a horrible wind "outbreak" one day about two years ago and my job lost all eletricity. We tried waiting it out for a little over an hour, hoping it would be fixed. I got quite a bit of knitting done during that wait. And to top it off, the electricity was still out, so they sent us home early. When I got home, MY electricity was busted by the storm too! I sat near the porch and knit until it got dark, then I lit some candles!!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
jade771
Casting On

I first learned to knit with this pattern:
http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbou...knitting2.html

The one titled "Grandmother's Favorite". I think it is a great pattern for just learning, plus it is pretty quick to knit up.[/url]
jade771 is offline   Reply With Quote