Old 03-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Charlotte Kopf
Ribbing the Cuff

I knit sooo slow what can I do
I have been knitting on a scarf for my son for what seems like ages. It is a knit one, purl one for 72 inchs. Yuk I know how to make the stitchs, I use the combine purl method on this. It seems I am slow on everything, even hats. They turn out great but I am sooo impatient I sometimes wonder if I should even take up knitting. I luv it so much tho. Is any one else slow? I have been knitting for about a year. I have 12 grandchildren to make knitted items for. They love their hats and scarfs. But jeez I have to start knitting in Febuary to have things done by Xmas. I do have Parkinson Diease and my hands shake some but when I hold the needles my hands are amazingly calm. Anyway I tried continental, which I can do. But not any faster. Just tell me please is anyone else out there slow? Medium fast. How long does it take everyone else to knit a 1 x 1 rib scarf ? Do I really want to know ?? Will it discourage me even more ? I want to be a calm knitter but I need a little speed. How slow is slow in knitting ???? My son I am knitting the scarf for lives in Alaska, bless his heart, I hope he doesn't freeze his canoodles off while waiting for mom to get done with his hat and scarf set. :( Thanks for reading. Have a great day.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: I knit sooo slow what can I do
Originally Posted by Charlotte Kopf
I have been knitting on a scarf for my son for what seems like ages. It is a knit one, purl one for 72 inchs. Yuk I know how to make the stitchs, I use the combine purl method on this. It seems I am slow on everything, even hats. They turn out great but I am sooo impatient I sometimes wonder if I should even take up knitting. I luv it so much tho. Is any one else slow? I have been knitting for about a year. I have 12 grandchildren to make knitted items for. They love their hats and scarfs. But jeez I have to start knitting in Febuary to have things done by Xmas. I do have Parkinson Diease and my hands shake some but when I hold the needles my hands are amazingly calm. Anyway I tried continental, which I can do. But not any faster. Just tell me please is anyone else out there slow? Medium fast. How long does it take everyone else to knit a 1 x 1 rib scarf ? Do I really want to know ?? Will it discourage me even more ? I want to be a calm knitter but I need a little speed. How slow is slow in knitting ???? My son I am knitting the scarf for lives in Alaska, bless his heart, I hope he doesn't freeze his canoodles off while waiting for mom to get done with his hat and scarf set. :( Thanks for reading. Have a great day.
How slow is slow?? I don't know. I think I might be moderate when it comes to speed. After I read the article about the fastest knitter in the world, I needed to grasp what 257 in 3 minutes really is. So I timed myself for 3 minutes and mustered a meager 98 sts. I'm sure that if I chose my yarn more carefully, I could have clear 110 or so. But I wasn't try to "beat the record"; I just needed to conceptualize how fast 257 in 3 minutes was.

Anyhoo - Some ppl argue that continnental is faster b/c your hands naturally don't "need" to move around as much. I don't think that's entirely true. Ever since I join my local knitting group, I've had the chance to see various knitting styles. I knit English and I find that I'm just as fast or faster than some the Conti's in the group; I'm not competing or bragging, just observing. So with that in mind, I think that the universal key to knitting your quickest, no matter Continnental or English or whatever , is to minimize the amount of movement your hands and/arms are making. Minimizing movement depends on the knitter. So maybe you can determine what you think is your own "excessive movements" are, then re-evaluate your knitting positions to try to eliminate those movements. You're bound to get quicker

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
Yup, I need to minimize my movements too. I knit English as well. I have tried Continental once and was able to do it, but not comfortably. I'd like to know how to do both well though since I hear it helps with certain things like knitting with colors, etc.

I'm still really slow too, but I've only been knitting since mid-January. My knits are quicker than my purls but I'm not real concerned with speed at this point, especially since I'm not good at fixing my mistakes yet..loL. Although, I was finally able to "knit back" last night on a mistake I made. I'm going to really try and start working on moving my arm and shoulder less and I think that will not only make me knit a little quicker, but have less ache there too.
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hi Charlotte! Did I say "Welcome!" yet? Welcome!

Ekgheiy, 98sts/3min.? That's not bad, actually! That's probably about what I knit, when I'm relaxed and not rushing. Maybe up to 40sts/min on average. I did try to time myself at my fastest, and after several attempts, I was able to reach 51 SPM (Stitches Per Minute). Mind you, that was in the best possible circumstances, and I could never maintain that speed! And it's nothing compared to the record holder's 85.6 sts./minute!

I consider anything over 30 to be quite good!

I don't know, I'm guessing, but I'd say if you're over, say, 17 sts./min., then you're at a good beginner rate, and I wouldn't consider that too slow. That's about three seconds per stitch. Not too bad. If it's 5 seconds per stitch, that's still reasonable, when you actually feel how long that takes, it's not that long. But it would definitely make for a slower project.

I wouldn't worry about your speed too much, Charlotte. I think the important thing is to figure out what GAUGE, and needle sizes you like to work with, and just stitck to that! An adult sweater on size 6 needles would take too long, to me, for it to be fun. Maybe a small adult sweater I might try, but I know my limits, and that's very helpful to know; that's really what it's all about! Don't think of it as stitch speed. Just think of it as guage/needle-size preferences. If a project is taking too long, then the problem isn't your speed, but the needles and yarn being too small! I like worsted weight yarn. Anything smaller than that, even for socks, feels like it's taking just too darn long! Check out a book called Chunky Knits, for some patterns you can make with really thick yarn and needles that will go nice and fast for you. Or do a search for "knit pattern bulky" and see what comes up.

Also, stockinette stitch is faster than alternating knit and purl, at least for most people. Not to mention, if it's ribbing, it contracts so much, that you literally have to make the scarf about twice as wide, to get the same size scarf! If you're going to go through the trouble of alternating knit and purl, then do seed stitch, because it won't contract, so you'll get to knit it at a normal width, and it won't contract.

Ekgheiy, I know what you mean about how English knitters can be very fast too. That's quite true. The biggest distinction comes when alternating knit and purl stitches. There's no denying that Continental knitters have a much faster, easier time, when it comes to bringing the yarn to the front then to the back, there's no extra step to do this when the yarn is in the left hand.
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
Charlotte Kopf
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the welcome and replies. It is helpful to me. I have always made things ultra hard for myself. My right hand does so much moving it gets tired after a few rows. Amy your advice was excellent and I will concentrate on those things before speed. Unfornately we have no such things as knitting lessons or meetings in this very small town I live in. I lived in Santa Clara CA for a number of years but I wasn't into knitting then. Unfornately I was there when the 1990 6.0 earthquake hit. Decided I liked my small town much better. So we got outta there within 2 wks. :D Thanks ekgheiy for your reply.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I think the key to building speed is practice! I've never timed myself, but I would put me in the medium category. Slow and steady wins the race, you know! K1 P1 ribbing is sloooooooooooooooooow anyway, I think, regardless of Conti or English. All knits in the round is MUCH faster. Anyway, I think it's good to take your time on porjects; no sense in rushing to get it done, then not wearing it becasue there's a mistake or something funky looking that could have been prevented by going slower. :D
Old 03-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Charlotte Kopf
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks hildegard. What great advice. My post today has really been benefical to me, with all the wonderful replies. When I get a little impatient I will just get online and read. Have a good day.

Knitting warms my heart and soothes my soul.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 AM   #8
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
I think K1P1 is a pain in the fanny, frankly. I find that when I knit with cotton I am markedly slower. We all have our quirks when we work. On the lighter side- your son won't grow out of a scarf.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

relax!
Charlotte, I didn't post when I first read your post but then was thinking about it. Just wanted to say that I am so happy to be knitting again because of the relaxing quality it brings to my life.

I don't think it should be about speed at all, but just liking it.
In other words, don't worry about it! I would hate to be in one of the contests where you have to go as fast as possible.

I also learned continental through Amy but found it not to be as relaxing as my style. I do it once in a while for a change but always want to get back to English style. Oh yes, k1, p1 is definitely more time consuming and I agree: a pain in the fanny . You might want to try a ribbing of k2, p2 or even the bigger ribs, I think there's one like k3 or 4, p3 oh I forgot, but it's out there somewhere.

And excellent advice about trying larger needles for a quicker project although I love my new dpn knitting.

all for now! V.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Charlotte Kopf
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks so much Victoise. What great advice. I have crocheted for almost 30 years and I never have really felt as calm as when I am knitting. My health is quite bad and I wear oxygen 24/7 , and have Parkinson so I do try hard to keep my stress down if possible. I love the quote "Knitting warms the heart and soothes the soul". I haven't timed myself. I could be faster than I think I am. But after reading the posts I will forget the speed and just try to do good at knitting. Thanks Sara for your post also. I appreciate them all. Have a great day !