Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 AM   #31
KatyKoolkat
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to KatyKoolkat
*bump*

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Anyone??????
KatyKoolkat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #32
n0nnahs

knitting w/ two circular interchangeable needles
I read about this last night and have been trying it very successfully today (despite 4 false starts with the pattern, but that had nothing to do with this method!).

For those that asked about it in the above two posts, here's how you do it...

1. Makek up the two circulars with mis-matched needles (e.g. each cable has a no.4 and a no.5 on it)
2. Cast your stitches onto the correct needle - in this case a no.5
3. Move half your stitches onto the wrong needle of the second circular
4. Knit as normal with the two circulars (see Amy's video if you need to)

You will always have your stitches you are knitting on the smaller needle and those you just knitted will be resting on the correct size needle.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #33
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes yes, thank you n0nnahs for answering this, sorry we left you waiting Katy and Quietheart. It does work out when you do it. Quietheart, there is no working back and forth in this case, because your knitting in the round. This method is for knitting in the round when the piece is too small for the smallest cable.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
— Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #34
n0nnahs

Re: FOUR clever things to do with your Interchangeable needl
Quote:
3) Inserting a lifeline There's a big shortcut you can use with interchangeable needles, if you're doing lacework and want to insert a lifeline (what's a lifeline? Video on this page). Instead of threading a tapestry needle with cord and running it through the stitches, you thread the Knitting Needle itself, and let it work the cord in as you knit! There's a little hole in the Boye set (you know, that hole that the tightening tool goes into) that could have been designed for this purpose!! I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking you could slip the cord into the hole of the denise needle before locking it onto the cable. ...Hope that makes sense, what I'm talking about.
Okay I fully comprehend items 1 & 2 (and have put them to use), but I just can't get my head around this one! I pushed all my stitches from the right needle onto the cable and threaded the hole (I have the Boye set) with a piece of cotton and pushed my stitches back up. Of course this only worked for the few stitches that got caught up in it as I pushed them back over the hole. However, when I was knitting the next round, the thread got passed through and now there's a lifeline for most of that round. Problem is, I don't know how it happened!

Can anyone give me some better instructions on this?

Thanks,
-shannon
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #35
mulene
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by brendajos
well i came in here hoping to find things like "stab the guy in the eye who is makin' fun of you for knitting in the drive through"....*sigh*...i guess these are good too though
my sentiments too

Great tips, thank you Amy =D I am a tight knitter and the idea of switching tips sounds great

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #36
truenorth
Ribbing the Cuff

I don’t know what I would have done without Amy’s lifeline hint. I am such a clutz if I have to frog and then try to get the loops back on the needle properly. I drop stitches and get frustrated. So I routinely thread some contrasting lifeline yarn into my work every few inches or so. That has saved me soooooo many times! But sometimes the yarn leaves residue fibers so I was brainstorming trying to figure out if I could use heavy fishing line or….?? Then I ran into this thread and it just seems like a perfect idea to use the cable from the interchangeable needles! I have not seen either the Denise or the Boye set in person so am wondering which would be best for use as lifelining. Which one has the skinniest cable? Are the needle/cable joins smooth? Which one should I choose!? I am gaining quite a collection of Addi Turbos, which I love, so probably would use the Denise or Boye set mostly for the tricks in this thread…

Thanks for any thoughts ….

lynnea
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #37
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i just finished knitting a hat, and used the two circ method amy mentioned. the needles i was knitting the hat on was 11 us. and the other size i added on to make two circs were 5s. it was no problem and didnt effect the way the hat looks at all.
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #38
kimmypooh
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to kimmypooh
Wow, I just found this post and thank you for the great info!!
Next UP: My first real socks
Next UP: Baby Surprise Jacket- if I can figure out what size of yarn to use

kimmypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #39
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
BRRRRRRRILLIANT!

(Make sure you roll your R's while reading that...)
lol
yes good idea amy!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #40
emstar915
Casting On

I may be a little slow, because I don't get what the point of the hole in the needle is in the third idea. I knit on interchangeables, so I really want to understand this.
emstar915 is offline   Reply With Quote