Old 03-20-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

OT: copyright violation is not nice
I know I should just keep quiet and not say anything, but copyright violations make me extremely uncomfortable. :(

This thread is actually the kind of thing that Amy was talking about in her sticky thread about posting pictures:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...opic.php?t=308

The first image that has been posted to this thread does not belong to any us. It is taken from a third party website (which in turn took it directly from a Russian book).

What it means is that Amy is now hosting a stolen image on knittinghelp.com, and Amy is therefore liable if the image owner notices that their picture has been stolen and takes exception. In this case the image owner is actually the Russian author of the book (not the website owner), and perhaps no-one will notice. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a copyright violation and it's unethical.

This image theft stuff is the kind of stuff that could get Amy into serious SERIOUS trouble (if not with this image, then with the next).

After all the stuff Amy went through with the "free patterns" saga, we as posters really should be more sensitive to this issue. She provides us with a wonderful discussion forum and helpful videos. In return, the least we can all do is to try not to get her into any trouble.

I'm sorry if I am coming across as a total b$#ch here, but I'd rather post this than see Amy get into any trouble. Even if you don't personally think it's a big deal to steal images from books or external websites and to involve Amy in this by posting those images here, there are a significant number of authors, webmasters and website owners out there on the net who DO think it's a big deal, and those people actually have copyright law on their side. If they decide to get heavy about it, they'll go after Amy because she owns this site.

I apologize to all the posters on this thread for sidetracking it and for being a cow about this issue. It's just a bit weird to see this image theft stuff still happening despite Amy's advice being pinned at the top of this forum:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...opic.php?t=308

If the OriginalPoster has the permission of the copyright owner to be posting the image to this forum, then I apologize in advance.
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #12
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

Propriety issues asside, I went to the orrigioal web-site via the link.

I can, in time, translate this, as studying Russian is a pet project of mine (German would have been *so* much easier to decipher!). It takes my mind off my music homework :)

The label at the top is nothing more exciting, as far as I can tell, than "Patern #4" or something to that nature. Not terribly helpful.

Using other, more time-efficient detective skills, it looks similar to a fisherman's rib. A test knit and comparison looked very close.

Fisherman's Rib:
Over an odd number of stitches;
R1 (right side): P1, *k1b, p1, rep from * to end
R2:Sl1, *p1, k1b, rep to last two stiches, p1, k1

where k1b is knit one below: insert right needle into the center of the stitch below and knit as usual.

Another Fisherman's Rib pattern:
Over an even number of stitches;
R1 (wrong side): P to end
R2: P1, *k1b, p1, rep from * to last st, p1.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #13
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

Darn it, now I'm all thinking about Russian again :) I'd put it down for a while and now I'm all thinking about that fabulous, funny alphabet.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
perced
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by yellowness
The label at the top is nothing more exciting, as far as I can tell, than "Patern #4" or something to that nature. Not terribly helpful.
That is about as far as I could get. I did get slip & yarn over from her translated page. Other than that I get nothing but gibberish using a translator. Either I am not getting the letters correct or knitting terms aren't available in the translator I am using.

I am going to take a break & work on another project. I usually like such a challenge but I am not really feeling well, so my stubborness isn't up to it's usual level.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Help translate a knit stitch pattern
Originally Posted by perced
I found this online. I would like to do this on a hat. Does anyone know russian or know how to knit this pattern?
Hey Perced ... I think I really found it this time....

Look here ...

What do you think? :thinking:

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #16
perced
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: Help translate a knit stitch pattern
Originally Posted by ekgheiy

Hey Perced ... I think I really found it this time....

Look here ...

What do you think? :thinking:
Ooh, that could be it. I will have to try it with two colors. Hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #17
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Excellent detective work Ek!

Mind if I give you another assignment?
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #18
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by beldaraan
Excellent detective work Ek!

Mind if I give you another assignment?
I'll keep my eyes open for ya!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #19
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Ekgheiy

Perced, have you started that swatch yet? I want to see!
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #20
perced
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by beldaraan
Ekgheiy

Perced, have you started that swatch yet? I want to see!
No, I had dance class w/ hubby last night. My son is home sick for the third day, :( so I will watch some cartoons and try the swatch.