Old 03-21-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
Mer
Working the Gusset

pick up and knit in the round issues
I may be making this harder than it is, but I can't figure out how to pick up and knit in the round! I'm doing this pattern and have finished the rectangle for the bottom. It asks me to pick up and knit each of the sides and then join to begin working in the round.

I can pick up the stitches, but then when I go to knit them, the working yarn is on the wrong end, or other issues come up...

Can I just do the pick up part along all the sides and knit them later? Maybe I just don't understand what pick up and knit really means. Or maybe I just need to cut the yarn for each side?

Hope this makes sense...thanks!
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
bobbiinbrooklyn
Casting On

The difference between pick-up and pick-up and knit gets discussed alot though never seems to get resolved. I think what you need to do is pick up stitches all around the rectangle, then start knitting in the round.

So if you start at one corner of your rectangle, you would insert the needle into a stitch, pull the yarn thru and onto the right needle, thus picking up one stitch. Now, pick up another stitch to the left of the one you just did, you now have 2 stitches on the right needle, etc. When you have gone all the way around the rectangle, the very first stitch you picked up, will now be on the left needle, and the last stitch you just picked up will be on the right needle. The yarn is coming out of this last stitch. Bring the yarn to the back, join by knitting it into the first stitch on the left needle, and start knitting in the round.

hope this helps.
bobbiinbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Mer
Working the Gusset

Thanks! That makes much more sense. The "and knit" part was confusing me.
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Yep, I think when patterns say "pick up and knit" they really just mean "pick up" Silly knitter's codes!