Old 03-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

New knitter afghan question
I've done a couple of scarves, and nearly completed the rectangle toddler poncho. I'd like to begin working on an afghan for a Christmas present (may take me that long ). I've not yet chosen a pattern, but I have concerns about how you manage to get enough stitches on a needle for the necessary width.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: New knitter afghan question
Originally Posted by Rennagayle
I've done a couple of scarves, and nearly completed the rectangle toddler poncho. I'd like to begin working on an afghan for a Christmas present (may take me that long ). I've not yet chosen a pattern, but I have concerns about how you manage to get enough stitches on a needle for the necessary width.
You'd use circular needle to accomodate the amount of stitches. Or you can choose a pattern that separates the afghan into panels.

For example, I'm making The Envelope Afghan right now. Each panel has 36 stitches. I'm going to work each panel to 54" long. Each panel is about 8.5" wide (I'm using US size 10.5 needles), so once the panels are put together, my afghan will be about 42.5"x54". The panels can of course be knitted in one piece by casting on 180 sts and just repeating the pattern across; you'd certainly need circulars for that route. The Envelope Afghan pattern is super easy and it's only 36 sts, so mistakes aren't so stressful. I once made an afghan that had 273 sts!! I was THOROUGHLY UPSET whenever I made mistakes on that afghan. In fact, many of those mistake were never fixed . (Yet that afghan is nevertheless proudly displayed on the end of my bed :D)

Hope that helps

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Yes, that helps. Thanks so much! :D
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote