Old 11-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

What are your favorite knitting accessories?
I have a few...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	woodenbeads-sm.jpg
Views:	3440
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	19119  Click image for larger version

Name:	boye-set_405.jpg
Views:	3421
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	19120  
Attached Images:

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2004, 11:40 PM   #2
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
hmm
Well I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I like my starter set from Boye. It's really all I have. That and some other Boye DPNs. I REALLY want a set like yours but they are expensive. I know they are worth it. but without a job, it's near impossible to get one!

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:56 AM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I just saw someone selling a new set of Boye's on eBay, for $45- ("Buy it Now" price). Search for "Boye interchangeable".

Since you get 9 pairs of circular needles, of any cable length, it really saves you big from buying individual needles, if you knit a lot. It's an investment, but you'll never have to buy needles again! I think the new set has even more needle sizes than my old set.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:58 AM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

PS
You don't have to post pictures, it's okay! I'm just a web geek, what can I say....
Old 11-10-2004, 06:22 PM   #5
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Counter
The counter is my favorite accessory too! Although, I haven't seen ones with a "loop thingy" until today.

I have three counters and I intend to buy more. Actually, I need to buy at least one more because I've found an alternative use for one of my counters. One mile has a lot of laps and I don't have a lot of memory, so one of my counters has been adopted as my lap swimming counter too. tee-hee ...

Other than the counter, I have to mention my multi functional ruler that was in the Boye Starter kit I purchased. It's a six inch ruler with a guage ruler built in and needle sizer. I always mis-measure with a regular ruler; but with this Boye ruler, all you have to do is put the stitches (or rows) in the open space and TADA!!

Here's a picture the ruler:
http://www.wrights.com/products/cata...ne/7525_lg.htm
Happy Knitting

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
schmidge
Casting On

Very cool set! My sister was describing it to me yesterday so I had to come and check it out!

The bead row counter bracelet seems very cool as well. It would double as a Weight Watchers point counter bracelet for me!
schmidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I also use that bead counter to count sets of things like decreases. For instance, if a pattern says: decrease like so, every 6 rounds, 5 times. I will use the small beads to count each of those six rows, and when I've done it once, I count a big bead. Then, start over with the small beads counting 6 rows, and place a second big bead. When there are 5 big beads, I know I'm done with that set of instructions.

I love my old Boye set, but I'm starting to hanker for the newer set. I just learned about "Magic Loop" knitting (a method of knitting socks and other small things, with one circular needle). I think the new Boye set might have a small enough cable for this. Does anyone have any recommendations? The cable needs to be able to fold virtually in half, and the folded end pulled out from between two stitches, without stretching them horribly. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, there's more info on Magic Loop knitting here.)

I suppose I should see if I like this technique first, before buying a whole new set of interchangeables! ...But the new Boye set also has a much smaller range of needles (more needles total?) than the old set I have. Good for those small items like socks. I wish I knew a store that stocked all the new kinds of interchangeables, so I could compare them all in person!

~Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 11-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #8
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I just discovered this cool yarn holder. It's a sterling silver bracelet that allows the yarn to dangle from your wrist. You're supposed to put the holder through the center of the ball of yarn, and then pull the yarn from the outside of the ball. This works pretty well, but the yarn sometimes gets tangled. I prefer, on the larger balls of yarn, to scewer the outer edge of the ball. Then I can pull the yarn from the center.

In any case, it's a great toy for holding the yarn while standing or walking.

Another method I use is to just tuck the yarn under my arm, and pull from the center of the ball. Or, if I'm carrying my knitting bag anyway, to just keep the yarn in the bag. So, this toy isn't really necessary, but it's fun.

This one I got is called the "Knitty Walker." I bought it for $18 at Northampton Wools, in Northampton, MA. They do mail order. Their number is (413) 586-4331. Shipping is $4.95.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	knitty-walker.jpg
Views:	3350
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	19125  

Martha Graham
Old 11-15-2004, 01:51 PM   #9
feministmama
Instepping Out

I feel like the earth is spinning out of control if I do not have my gauge stich counter thingy. Ya know that rectangular metal thing with a little corner cut out and had holes diagonally cut out to measure your needle size. Love that thing.
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I got these woven labels from NameMaker.com. This is their actual size. The first one was a label that I could put four lines of any text I wanted, so I included washing instructions for the wool items I make. I love these labels! This company had lots of good ones to choose from!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	labels.jpg
Views:	3302
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	19129  

Martha Graham