Old 03-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Suggest a beginner's felted project?
I'm a new knitter, just finishing up my 3rd project. Since first reading about felting (here), I've been curious to try it. I have some wool yarn (possibly mohair :?: ) which I know felts well, because I knitted up a swatch and ran it through two agitation cycles with some towels I was washing in hot water. It shrunk almost in half, which gives me a good idea how large I should knit my project.

Can anyone suggest an easy beginner's felting project/pattern for me?
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I dont know how easy they are gonna be, but my first felted project is gonna be THESE AWESOME CLOG SLIPPERS. I CANT WAIT. The pattern was sold out at my LYS & she was in the middle of putting in an order when I walked in & asked for it. She just happened to have knit up a pair for display in the store...they are SO cushy!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
Check out Knit One, Felt Too. I can't remember the author's name. She has a number of cute, simple patterns. The directions seem very straightforward. I have not felted anything, but I loved the book. Yet another item on my wish list...
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:32 AM   #4
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Sara, I'll see if my local bookstore (no LYS here) has that book, and thumb through it. Thanks!

Kelly, I know I'm not yet ready for that slipper pattern, but I LOVE them!!! I can't wait until I have a little more experience under my belt, and yarn in my stash.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Felted purses can be really, really easy, very fast and fun. I've made a bunch of different kinds. I started with very basic ones. Most recently I made the Booga Bag, which is a free pattern available online. Yes, you have to pick up stitches, but with this pattern it isn't hard at all. The pattern mentioned something about twisted stitches, which I just ignored rather than look it up...and it all turned out fabulously in spite of it. The beautiful thing about felting is that the felting process erases most errors....

With the booga bag I made a twisted cord rather than knit I-cord. I'm too impatient for that I-cord stuff most of the time. Plus, with the Noro Kureyon yarn, I like the look of the twisted cord way better.

There are a couple of good felting books out there with fun ideas in them. As I tend to recommend often...check your local library. Libraries are AWESOME places with FREE information. It's so incredibly cool.
kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:37 AM   #6
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Thanks, Kimmie. I guess I need to go and browse through all the knitting books at our local book/music store. I did notice when I was in there last that they had several. I've checked our library, and it was a bust. They did have a few crochet books, terribly outdated at that. Our smallish library leaves alot to be desired. I like small town leaving, but it certainly has it's drawbacks. :rollseyes:
Old 03-24-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Originally Posted by Rennagayle
Our smallish library leaves alot to be desired. I like small town leaving, but it certainly has it's drawbacks. :rollseyes:
Dont feel so bad....I live right outside Chicago and have checked TWO local libraries....with disappointing results.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Dont feel so bad....I live right outside Chicago and have checked TWO local libraries....with disappointing results.
Oddly enough, that makes me feel better. I figured the lack of knitting books was due in part to our library being small, but as alot of the books in there have been donated (as new purchases) to our library by members of our community, I just assumed that it's because we live a part of the country where winters are short, and not that cold, that there wasn't the interest in knitting. Clearly, that would NOT be the case where you live, though!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #9
kimmie
Turning the Heel

I guess that I am just really fortunate to live near many great libraries. Hopefully your library will let you interlibrary loan items. That way you have access to anything that other, bigger, better libraries have. I search around on amazon.com to read reviews (as somebody mentioned earlier) and then I either get it from the library or interlibrary loan it.

Another thought on this is that if the library sees that knitting books keep being interlibrary loaned, they will be much more likely to purchase them if they have the funds to do so. For that matter, you can just come right out and ask the librarian to order a few. Libraries want to own what their patrons want to check out.

You have given me a great idea for what to do with my excess of knitting books when I'm done with them - donate them to some little library.

kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Quote:
You have given me a great idea for what to do with my excess of knitting books when I'm done with them - donate them to some little library.
Great idea, Kimmie! Maybe you can start with ours.

Kidding aside, I did ask once at our library about getting a book on interlibrary loan. The clerk told me to fill out a request form (which I never bothered doing), and she'd see if she could get it. She said there may be a charge to me, though. I should've inquired "how much", and "what for", but I didn't. Do you ever have to pay a charge for interlibrary loans? :(