Old 03-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #11
Anne
Knitting the Flap

Hi Sara,

The problem i have knitting the Throw is the beginning with a new yarn for each row.... I do knit scarfs :XX: but that is the only thing i have done.

Heck, Sara i psychoanalyze myself everyday with this throw. I keep telling myself TRY IT YOU IDIOT!!!!!!

I am on a waiting list at my LYS to take classes just for this throw. I can do it i know i can. I just need a good kick in the A__ to get going.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-25-2005, 01:52 AM   #12
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Big KICK from PA.

Recruit, what are you doin' standin' there just looking at my words for?!!!!
I wanna hear those knittin' needle's points clickin' double-time!!!

NOW... HOP TO IT! ... HUT Two, Three, Four!....HUT Two, Three, Four!....HUT Two, Three, Four!.....

I have not personally done a throw....but it doesn't really matter. Anyone (like you) who's worked a rectangle in any size has a fairly good idea of how to tackle this....just keep that in mind...and repeat it to yourself as many times as necessary to convince yourself you can do this.

Also, you were right to walk out on that dingbat who gave you "the brush." She was just looking for really easy money....something she didn't get from you. Afterall, it doesn't take much effort to teach or learn garter.

So Anne, I take it you've only knit single color scarves and not multiple colors? If so, you'll be glad to know, if given a choice, IMHO, the best place to actually start a new color is on the ends, where you can start a new row with new tension (no, not the personal kind).

It sounds like you're going to do a big piece "straight needle style" with those circulars. So it'll be a lot easier to wrestle with as it get's longer and heavier. If I were you, I'd grab a pack of rubber bands, large and strong enough to roll and group the length up as it gets longer. Smaller ones might come in handy to keep those dangling fringe ends in order too....on each end of your work, just group them up with a rubber band every few rows to keep things tidy.

Your biggest challenge is likely going to be working each different texture (and thickness) against each other. But you win again, since every new row is a new opportunity to adjust the tension with the next yarn color (and thickness) selected.

Not sure what it's going to be like working a new yarn and color at the beginning of each row? Grab 5 yarns, knit a small swatch of maybe 20 stitches in each row....get a feel for it before you begin. Work out the kinks in your technique of how to continue knitting each row from the end on in. Once you feel good about what you're doing, THEN hit the project.

Those instructions you have, is that it? No other instructions? If not, are they online somewhere where we all can see them?

What's supposed to happen with the fringe? How are they secured, individually or grouped with other yarn ends every so many rows?

It sounds like you're psyching yourself out, maybe you don't need the LYS, especially if you're only doing garter stitch. Give it a shot. If you have a digital camera....and if you run into questions/problems, take a snap and share it with us here so we can give you better advice. While advice in person is usually preferred, I doubt you'll find better online advice than right here at KH.
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:55 PM   #13
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
Beautiful answer, happenin! I was trying to think of something to hold those fringes- the rubber band idea is fabulous.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #14
Anne
Knitting the Flap

happenin, HUT two etc, :rofling:

I have used 2 colors together on many scarfs. Cast on with 2 and go from there.....

I KNOW I AM FREEKIN OUT OVER THIS THROW. stupid i know....

I appreciate everyones advice. Each and everyone of you

Fringe instructions. Leave 4-6" ends at the beginning and end of each row. These ends will be used as part of your fringe. Knit until the blanket measures approx 40" (this is the width you are knitting the blanket lengthwise).

Finishing. Make 4-6" strands of fringe with the leftover yarn and attach it to the ends of the blanket. Fringe should be placed close together, giving it a think plush look.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:49 PM   #15
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Good! If you've already knit with 2 colors, you've got it down already then.

To me, it sounds like those fringe instructions are a little vague, but I think that they will join with your original end, on the inside of the first loop in each row. A crochet or latch hook will come in handy during that stage, for sure....and it'll be a long process...but the end result will be really nice.

Make sure you tie those fringes off in a knot or something so they don't come undone and scatter about later on. My sister makes huge throws and the ones I have from her are shedding like crazy because she only loops them through, never tying them off. I'd say the reason why is that by the end of her projects (also done in garter)...she's pretty exhausted from it because she's not yet familiar with circulars.

Boy, when you get finished with that project are you gonna be glad that y ou did it and happy with the results! Happy Knitting and GOOD LUCK!
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #16
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
I am waiting to dip into my first throw too....I have the yarn (and no it isnt a pretty expensive one, its a cheapie Bernat Boucle) and I have the circular needles...I am debating as to whether I want to add a second yarn thats a little more fuzzy for interest or not, havent decided for sure. I wont start until after tax season, ( since I am an accountant) but am pretty much planning on just doing a simple rib pattern. We CAN do this!
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #17
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

I attempted to start my first throw last night. It was my very first experience with circular needles, and can I just say, IT WASN'T FUN! I felt like I was wrestling a snake, and the snake won.

I finally put it away after frogging the first three rows (as far as I ever got) 5 times.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #18
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Renna - don't give up. Once you get going with circulars, you won't want to use anything else!

Jouf
Jouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #19
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

I keep seeing everyone say that, Jouf, so I will try again, but it's hard to imagine ever being comfortable with them. Of course, I thought that exact same thing about straight needles when I first used them.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #20
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Jouf
Renna - don't give up. Once you get going with circulars, you won't want to use anything else!

Jouf
I second this! I am in the process of replacing all my straights with circs. Circulars are fun to work with and MUCH easier to knit on the go. Really, Renna, don't give up!!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote