Old 03-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Good source for DPN's?
Does anyone have a favorite online source for wood dpn's? I dont wanna spend 7.50 per set....

(and I dont have a pencil sharpener....can you believe it?)
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 AM   #2
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Sorry, I don't know of a place to find them online at better prices, except to possibly suggest ebay or some place like that.

No pencil sharpener? No problem. You could still use a pocket knife...or a reasonably sharp, old kitchen paring knife. If you do go this route, just make sure to pretend like it's a potato and stand over your garbage container while you whittle. Another idea is to do it over a grocery store bag. Save those shavings for: bedding for a pet, your garden compost, mulch around an outdoor plant, kindling.
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Good source for DPN's?
Originally Posted by KellyK
Does anyone have a favorite online source for wood dpn's? I dont wanna spend 7.50 per set....

How about making your own?? Amy shows you how to do that here. I am still considering doing this, even though I don't like working with wooden needles. I guess the novelty appeals to me ...

Good Luck

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

A pencil sharpener is pretty cheap isn't it? :D
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61

Kelly --

What size do you need? I was in a bind for a couple of size 8s to make an i-cord, and I discovered that the stash of chop sticks we have from our favorite Chinese restaurant are size 8!

We do have a pencil sharpener, though!! You could, like others have mentioned, whittle them. Does your hubby have any power tools? How 'bout a belt sander? That would make a nice tip.

Also, you should be able to get a length of dowel rod from Home Depot (Menards, Lowes, etc) for next to nothing. Then run over to Sam's and invest in an electric pencil sharpener. They're less than 2 sets of DPNs, and you'll be able to sharpen your pencils, too!!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by beldaraan
A pencil sharpener is pretty cheap isn't it? :D
YES, Miss Beldie-Smarty-Fat-Pants! :rollseyes:

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did. Ran to Home Depot, now I have size 3's, 4's, 7's and 8's!

So, MLYAAAAH! :P

Thanks, all, for your advice!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Wow Kelly, you're lucky in your area!

What a coincidence, I just came back from Home Depot myself, this was the 2nd store I've checked out (the other was "Wally-World" about a week ago). Around here, the smallest I've found is US 7. Maybe I need to try a few more, different stores to obtain the variety I'm looking for. Or perhaps skewers, or as mentioned earlier chop sticks might do the job. But I know these are made of more porous and flimsy wood, which might not hold up to rigorous knitting. I guess it just depends on the quality of the wood.

I noticed dowels come in 2 varieties.....the less expensive "Hardwood" (though some of the labels say "S/W" for Soft Wood...they're all likely Pine) and the slightly more costly Oak (which is a good hardwood and likely easier to find east of the Mississippi).

I'd say the Oak is better reserved for after a few of these have been made and experimented with in projects. My guess is these "hardwood's" will likely snap easily, especially if they're smaller sized. I'd say it may well be a different story with the Oak ones though.

I'm gonna try the "hardwoods" first, because I know it'll be easier to file down because they're a softer, more porous wood. Once I know what I'm doing, I'm switchin' to Oak and then make myself a full set of more durable sizes for this tight knitter.

For now, it also looks like I'm going to have to use my old, basic carpentry and woodworking skillsto make the dowels I do have any smaller. Turning my cordless drill into a "lathe" by clamping it in a vise and then by pressing either rough/medium/fine sandpaper or a chisel against the spinning dowels. I'll do the same with my larger sized dowels for the larger size needles.

Then, all of these puppies are gonna go through an old school style, hand crankin', dial-a-hole size, wall mounted pencil sharpener like a buzz saw. bruahahahha
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

As there are no dpn's to be found locally (small town), I just viewed Amy's video for making your own. That's a nifty little gadget she was holding, the needle guage. I've not seen one of those before. Are they generally available at craft stores? :?:
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

My gauge came with my "learn to knit" kit, which I bought at Michaels.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:07 AM   #10
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Originally Posted by happenin
Or perhaps skewers, or as mentioned earlier chop sticks might do the job. But I know these are made of more porous and flimsy wood, which might not hold up to rigorous knitting. I guess it just depends on the quality of the wood.
Happenin --

The chopsticks I got from the Chinese restaurant were actually bamboo ... I was quite pleased with the way they turned out after some moderate sanding. They're so nice and smooth & seem really quite sturdy.

I also saw a pack of about 10-12" dowels @ Target tonight, of all places. There were about 8 or 10 dowels in three sizes for .99! Amazing. It looked like they would probably be equivalent to about size 11, 8 and maybe 5. I'm not quite sure why I didn't buy them.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote