Old 03-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Knit one, Purl one, Knit one, RIP ALL!
I began project number four last night. It's another scarf, but my first that isn't a plain knit stitch. The pattern starts off as so:

Scarf Lower Band

Cast on 38 sts loosely

Row 1: (K1, P1) across.
Row 2: (P1, K1) across.
Rows 3-5: Repeat Rows 1 and 2 once, then repeat Row 1 once more

Okay, I understand all that, and can even manage to do it. What I CANNOT manage is keeping track of what I've done! I know to use a row counter for rows, but when each row is different, that doesn't help. I ripped this stupid thing out FOUR times last night! As I type, I am now back at zero.

I guess the fact that it was 1:00 in the morning, and I was simultaneously watching tv, could have had something to do with it, though.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-24-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
I take a piece of scrap paper and use symbols for each row I have finished. Plus sign for row A, check mark for row B, etc. That way, I can just look at my list if I get distracted. If I have to count rows, I make a check when I finish a row, and I find that more reliable than the row count gadget. Espec. since my DD likes to click the button on it.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

That sounds like a good idea, Sara.

I have another question, which may sound idiotic.

When I'm knitting one, purling one, and so forth....if I get distracted from my work for a moment, is there a way to tell which I've done by looking at the stitch? I realize I pull the yarn to the back for knitting, and to the front for purling, but sometimes I can't remember if I just pulled the yarn to the front to do a purl stitch, or if I just completed one and haven't yet pulled it to the back. Silly, I know, but my concentration skills these days are not the best. :( I'd like to be able to tell by looking what I've just done and what I need to do.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Rennagayle

When I'm knitting one, purling one, and so forth....if I get distracted from my work for a moment, is there a way to tell which I've done by looking at the stitch? I realize I pull the yarn to the back for knitting, and to the front for purling, but sometimes I can't remember if I just pulled the yarn to the front to do a purl stitch, or if I just completed one and haven't yet pulled it to the back. Silly, I know, but my concentration skills these days are not the best. :( I'd like to be able to tell by looking what I've just done and what I need to do.
This question is best answered with a visual aid. Check out Amy's Video on ribbing. She mentions your question in this video.

Good Luck!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Thanks, ekgheiy! I'll do that. I don't think I've watched that one yet.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
loofnicnad
Ribbing the Cuff

Not idiotic
Originally Posted by Rennagayle

I run into this all the time.
I am knitting shawls with a k3, p3 pattern throughout.
I find it is sometimes easy enough just to count stitches on the needle to find out what is the next stitch.
Sing as if I know I won't be heard!
loofnicnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Thanks, loofnicnad. That sounds logical enough. :D
Old 03-24-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

another way to keep track of alternating rows is to use two different color needles... when the red needle is in my right have I know to start with a knit, if the gray needle is in my right hand I know to start with a purl... or whatever.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 PM   #9
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Quote:
another way to keep track of alternating rows is to use two different color needles...
What a neat idea! :D
Old 03-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
Anne
Knitting the Flap

Hilde, Your so darn smart!!!!!!! Thanks for the tip!

Rennagayle, I know what you are going through I have done the same thing... Keep :XX: you will get it

Hugs to you
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote