Old 04-04-2005, 04:44 AM   #11
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey everyone, I think this stash swap could work! How about something like THIS.....

The first person starts the cycle, by Posting PICTURES of their extra yarn in a thread. 1 picture per type of yarn. The first person to reply claiming a yarn, gets to have it mailed to them. As they claim the yarn they want, they also post pictures of their own yarn offered.

TO MAKE IT WORK, people REALLY need to edit their posts to remove the picture of yarn they're shipping to someone. Then, all anyone has to do is scroll down the list of pictures to see what's currently available!

What do you think?!
Amy
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Originally Posted by amy
Hey everyone, I think this stash swap could work! How about something like THIS.....

The first person starts the cycle, by Posting PICTURES of their extra yarn in a thread. 1 picture per type of yarn. The first person to reply claiming a yarn, gets to have it mailed to them. As they claim the yarn they want, they also post pictures of their own yarn offered.

TO MAKE IT WORK, people REALLY need to edit their posts to remove the picture of yarn they're shipping to someone. Then, all anyone has to do is scroll down the list of pictures to see what's currently available!

What do you think?!
Amy
Wouldn't it have to be an even swap - that is the person who first wants the yarn in the posted pic would then have to offer something to the picture poster?

Carol
PS Why has no one told me how cool Hello.com is - I've just spent half the day playing with it and Picasa - now I really need to get my own blog.

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by carollovesyarn
Wouldn't it have to be an even swap - that is the person who first wants the yarn in the posted pic would then have to offer something to the picture poster?
I don't know... it's not necessarily supposed to be an even swap; If I post something and someone wants it, they either give me an agreed-upon amount of money, or (hypothetically) an equal amount of yarn. If it's an even trade, then we're already doing it... on this forum!
ME--Hi I have X yarn, here's a pic, who wants it?
BELDIE--I have some Y yarn, here's a pic, who wants it?
ME thinks... ooo i really want that Y yarn
BELDIE thinks ... ooo i really want that X yarn
ME -- Hey I'll give you my X yarn if you give me your Y yarn
BELDIE-- Okay it's a deal

I was thinking this would be like a circle thing... FMama, Beldie, KK and I all have stuff we want to get rid of... so Fmama puts 3 things labeled FM in a box, and sends it to Beldie... Beldie looks at the box, takes out 2 things from FMama and puts in 2 things she doesn't need labeled BD, then sends it to KK.... KK takes one thing from FMama and one thing from Beldie, puts 2 of her extras labeled KK in, then send it to me... I take out one thing, put one thing in, and send it to Amy who just jumped on the bandwagon.... Amy follows suit, etc etc etc (i don't remember why the labeling is important, but it is)
*and by extras I mean comparable amounts... If I put in 3 skeins of noro (yean right) and KK takes all three and puts in 3 ziploc bags of 2-foot long fun fur ends, it's not exactly the same (sheesh, KK! ) This is about honor system all the way....
It actually would take a lot of organizing; we'd have to do address lists, figure how/where to add people, making sure that we're not sending the box unnecessarily across the country (if KK and I are in northern IL it makes sense for me to send to KK first instead of sending to someone in NY who will send it to KK)... and the downfall is that the person who puts in first might not get a change to take OUT for a while.... what happenes when someone runs off with the box, or the PO loses it, or someone goes on vacation and the box sits for 2 weeks w/o moving, etc etc etc. It was a LOT easier with beads, because they're small... we had 45 people on the list, and we still have a very small priority mail sized box... I personally don't want to lug something that's 4 foot square to the PO and mail it.
Anyway, there are REALLY GOOD things about it too, like having a surprise at your door one day, finding just the right bit of REALLY COOL yarn, finding something that's not available in your area....
I don't know, maybe logistically it isn't workable
Old 04-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #14
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
I was thinking this would be like a circle thing... FMama, Beldie, KK and I all have stuff we want to get rid of... so Fmama puts 3 things labeled FM in a box, and sends it to Beldie... Beldie looks at the box, takes out 2 things from FMama and puts in 2 things she doesn't need labeled BD, then sends it to KK.... KK takes one thing from FMama and one thing from Beldie, puts 2 of her extras labeled KK in, then send it to me... I take out one thing, put one thing in, and send it to Amy who just jumped on the bandwagon.... Amy follows suit, etc etc etc (i don't remember why the labeling is important, but it is)
*and by extras I mean comparable amounts... If I put in 3 skeins of noro (yean right) and KK takes all three and puts in 3 ziploc bags of 2-foot long fun fur ends, it's not exactly the same (sheesh, KK! ) This is about honor system all the way....
They do this at the knitty board and it sort of works, I think one of the first boxes was lost forever. I think the only downside is getting a box with nothing you really want in it. And I would do this, but I'm extremely unemployed so I only splurge on trades and the occasional Random Act of Kindness.

We could try the RAK type thing, like "I want some purple yarn" and you just happen to have some extra purple yarn you send to me (thank you!) and you say "I want any IK mags" and Amy sends one off to you...

Carol

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
[quote="Hildegard_von_Knittin"]
Originally Posted by carollovesyarn
It actually would take a lot of organizing; we'd have to do address lists, figure how/where to add people, making sure that we're not sending the box unnecessarily across the country (if KK and I are in northern IL it makes sense for me to send to KK first instead of sending to someone in NY who will send it to KK)... and the downfall is that the person who puts in first might not get a change to take OUT for a while.... what happenes when someone runs off with the box, or the PO loses it, or someone goes on vacation and the box sits for 2 weeks w/o moving, etc etc etc. It was a LOT easier with beads, because they're small... we had 45 people on the list, and we still have a very small priority mail sized box... I personally don't want to lug something that's 4 foot square to the PO and mail it.
Anyway, there are REALLY GOOD things about it too, like having a surprise at your door one day, finding just the right bit of REALLY COOL yarn, finding something that's not available in your area....
I don't know, maybe logistically it isn't workable
MY HEAD HURTS!!!!!
And, I would NEVER send you a ziploc bag of 2-foot long fun fur ends....I just gave three extra skeins of that to my residents. Fun fur remnants I would send to Beldie so she could make more handcuffs! :P
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #16
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

LOL. Clear as mud, right???
Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #17
feministmama
Instepping Out

Ya know I like BOTh Amy's idea and Hilde's idea. (Can't we all just get along??) Why ot do both? I'm willing to lug a box to the post office. I do it all the time. I sell stuff on Half.com and ebay and we have a self serve postal thingy at my post office and it's open on Saturdays. AND I have a digital camera and love posting pics onthe internet so you see I can do both. I'll do whatever everybody else does.
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #18
feministmama
Instepping Out

OK so here's one thing: Let's make it free ,absolutley free. Even exchange. So no one is priced out ya know? How bout that?
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #19
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
so Fmama puts 3 things labeled FM in a box, and sends it to Beldie... Beldie looks at the box, takes out 2 things from FMama and puts in 2 things she doesn't need labeled BD, then sends it to KK..........the PO loses it
Didn't I already "say" something like this would happen after the yarn gets sent to me??

Originally Posted by KellyK
Fun fur remnants I would send to Beldie so she could make more handcuffs! :P
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #20
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Oh yeah I totally think it should be free! We just have to pay to send the box... and if it's free we can email/pm whoever we're getting box from and say "i don't have anything to trade, send it on to whoever* without feeling like we*have* to contribute b/c we paied to do it.