Old 03-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Having the Q's in their own forum
As you all know, I generally prefer fewer forums; but folks have been asking for a separate forum for Q's, and I'm thinking it's a good idea. Since the General Knitting forum's getting pretty busy these days, I figure why not try it! It may make posts easier to find and the main forum less overwhelming.

Anyway, we'll try it for a while. Let's give it a few days to get used to. Then I'll put up a poll about it, and get feedback from you all.

Thanks!
Amy
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
What kinds of things would go in the general forum, then?
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I know, it seems like that's practically all we talk about in the main forum, is how-to Q's, but it's not! That's one of the reasons I want to sort them out, because the most interesting discussions get lost among the technical talk. If you look at the first page of posts on the main forum right now, more than half of the topics are not questions. The topics vary quite a bit, from Q's about books and magazines, to a new knitting discovery, to venting about frustrations, and the occasional off-topic thread.

It is more work to click on multiple forums, and my concern is that the Q's in this forum will get neglected. But if they don't, I think it can be good to have them here, to create a little more breathing room in the main forum. I'm hoping it will work out! If not, I'll merge this forum back with the General forum.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

I think this is a good idea, if it actually works out the way it's intended. I love to peruse the questions, and try to answer if I've got some insight, and I also love the general discussions and sometimes just want to read/chat about "general" knitting.

Also, hopefully it will help people find old threads that already answer their questions, since they will be able to sort through Q&A's more efficiently.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:01 AM   #5
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
I like that there's a new section here for Q & A. I was starting to lose posts. And there's so many people signing up all the time...since Amy rocks and all.
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
milindoe
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to milindoe Send a message via MSN to milindoe Send a message via Yahoo to milindoe
Originally Posted by amy
I know, it seems like that's practically all we talk about in the main forum, is how-to Q's, but it's not! That's one of the reasons I want to sort them out, because the most interesting discussions get lost among the technical talk. If you look at the first page of posts on the main forum right now, more than half of the topics are not questions. The topics vary quite a bit, from Q's about books and magazines, to a new knitting discovery, to venting about frustrations, and the occasional off-topic thread.

It is more work to click on multiple forums, and my concern is that the Q's in this forum will get neglected. But if they don't, I think it can be good to have them here, to create a little more breathing room in the main forum. I'm hoping it will work out! If not, I'll merge this forum back with the General forum.
FWIW, I was grateful for the "Q" forum -- got me right to where I wanted to be and right to the question at hand.

It's been my experience on other sites that using the "general" forum for a catch all makes it hard to maneuver and you also get a lot of repeat questions. Most people don't/won't look through more than the top layer of threads to see if their topic is already up there. A "Q" forum separates out the wussies (like me) from the pros (like y'all!).

JMHO

BTW, I was psyched when I found this forum and site!
milindoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Ahhh, yes, I'm definitely liking this new forum. I hate to see Q's go unanswered, and this makes it SOOO easy to find Q's with zero replies.

I was going to do a poll, but I don't think it's necessary. We all seem to like it! It really does make sense, I'd say.

Thanks for the feedback!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 04-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Yes, Ive changed my mind about it, too.....
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #9
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Yippee!

I love a unanimous decision.