Old 04-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #11
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

I finally bought my yarn! I found Berocco Duo for a pretty nice price, and given my loose stitch, it's pretty close in gauge, so when I get it I can finally start!
mascarasnake is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to brookenic Send a message via Yahoo to brookenic
OK I have mine yarn now too. I'm gonna get started, probably this Thursday. How about you all? ~Brooke
Old 04-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
jessmoor
Ribbing the Cuff

I started a few days ago, and am halfway done with one side so far. Its going well - I started with a few questions about the pattern but I think I figured them out. Specifically, the loop stitch was really hard & tedious until I stopped doing it the way the pattern says and started doing it Amy's way (in her video). That works so much better! I let the yarn for the loop slide down to my fingertip (right thumb), which I pressed against the right needle so the yarn didn't slide all the way off - this made slightly smaller loops, which seemed to look better (& used less yarn).

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to be using at least 150 more yards than the pattern says, maybe because the weight of my yarn is slightly different (chunky vs. bulky), although I've been told that shouldn't affect yardage. My gauge is correct, & I also altered the pattern to be slightly smaller, casting on 2 less stitches & adjusting the rest of the pattern accordingly, so if anything I should be using less yarn. I was in a bit of a panic for a couple days until I found more of my yarn, since the original YS was out & the first 15 places I called didn't carry that style at all. Its a different lot number, but the color looks the same (whew ). My yarn is Classic Elite, Two-Two (chunky wool).

I've also noticed the strange phenomena discussed in the thread What the heck? , where one side of the V's in stockinette are not slanted but almost vertical. It's the first time I've experienced this, and I heard it happens with certain yarns, but I'm not concerned - vertical lines will only make it more flattering!

Knitters Geek Code
KCR++ Exp SPM+ Metal+ Wood+ WoodCirc+++ Nov++* Stash+ Scale Fin>+ Ent? FI? Int? Tex?>+ Lace+ Flat Circ>++ ML?>++ FO5 WIP3 ALT=Em+
jessmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #14
jessmoor
Ribbing the Cuff

update
Well, I've finished one side, but its way too long! (at least for what I wanted - not almost down to my knees ). I may have interpreted the pattern wrong, where it says "work 3 rows even" - that normally means to keep working the stitch pattern (in this case stockinette st) with no increases or decreases. Then the pattern says to repeat the last 4 rows (the first row with 2 decreases & the 3 rows even) until there is 75 stitches. That would mean repeating those 4 rows 7 times (2 decreases on the first row only).

For the other side, I'm trying it a different way (not what the pattern says, but maybe its wrong ). For the "3 rows even" I'm purling the first, then repeating the row before with the decreases, then purling another row. That means I only repeat those 4 rows 3 times (after the first set of 4), to get down to 75 stitches. So far, from what I can estimate, it looks like the finished product will be about the length I want (a normal sweatshirt length, more like what is in the picture).

I was also using more yarn than the pattern called for (in yards), so this alteration would solve that mystery too. I don't know how often patterns are wrong, if ever...

I'll let you all know how it turns out! :D

Knitters Geek Code
KCR++ Exp SPM+ Metal+ Wood+ WoodCirc+++ Nov++* Stash+ Scale Fin>+ Ent? FI? Int? Tex?>+ Lace+ Flat Circ>++ ML?>++ FO5 WIP3 ALT=Em+
jessmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #15
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

why isn't my yarn here yet? :crying: I wanna start!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #16
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

Hmm...
I just got my yarn today (yay!) but I realized that I undercalculated the yardage I would need for the sub yarn by 140 yards. Since this is turning out to be monstrous for you, do you think I will be okay?

In any case, I did the loops, which frustrated me as well until I watched Amy's video. Ahh, that Amy. It should be pretty easy from here. I love my yarn, so that will make it appealing towork on nomatter what, right?

So how are you doing with it now, jessmoor?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #17
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
I HAVE to knit this!!!!!!!!! thinking in a pretty fall autumn goldish/brownish color!!! lol....

I have a sickness I think....is there help available???? lol......house is falling down, and all I want to do is sit and knit...... :XX: :XX: :XX:

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #18
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

HeatherFeather, use this color! It's so gorgeous and it's on sale for $33/bag at WEBS (yarn.com)...I'm loving this yarn!
Attached Images:

Old 04-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #19
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
ooo.....what kind of yarn? color? so I can go shopping!! lol.... thanks for the heads up!!

is it the Berroco duo you mentioned in a previous post?

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #20
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, it is the Berrocco Duo in shade Nero, number 3234. Yum yum yum!!!