Old 03-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Best resources to learn to do Charts & Graphing?
I've seen Amy's dk video and am wondering where I can learn even more about charts and graphing.

Just starting to double knit (the Beverly Royce way, as in her book "Notes on Double Knitting")....and am wondering about learning more about the chart and graph side of it.

I know I've seen a post over in General with a great link on how to read one....but now can't seem to find it and I could use more suggestions, as I've seen the folks here have some EXCELLENT links to all kinds of stuff!

Also, I recently had a library book out from Barbara G. Walker "Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns" about charting her way, but didn't find that very helpful. There was like 4 or 5 pages of shorthand and it all just became one big blur. I think I need something a little less intense to start off with.

Any/all welcome...and thanks in advance!

[Suggestion to Amy, while you're in the process of making new categories, you might just want to make one with links to other helpful resources like the ones flowing in here nearly daily now. Just a thought. ]
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-29-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
feministmama
Instepping Out

I soooooo can't understand charts. Especially cables. They make no sense to me. If you get any info, pass it on and talk to me like I'm 5.
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by feministmama
talk to me like I'm 5.
:rofling: I say this to people all the time! especially when i am asking for directions!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:30 AM   #4
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by feministmama
I soooooo can't understand charts. Especially cables. They make no sense to me. If you get any info, pass it on and talk to me like I'm 5.
:rofling:
When I'm feelin' that way, I usually say "....like I'm a teenager"....but considering the subject, I totally understand.

5 is about how old I feel just lookin' at the charts even in the DK book. They say American's are the only ones lacking in this understanding, seems like the rest of the world is far more informed on the topic....they say knitters in other countries grow up using charts because it's simpler?!

I guess all 3 of us are going to have to wait until either a more informed American or an average knitter from another country comes along to save the day and our butts, now doesn't it?! LOL
Old 03-30-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

i hate reading charts... i wanted to knit an illusion heart scarf, and reading the chart drove me NUTSO. I ended up going line by line and typing out the directions for each stitch, which took *forever*. The stuff that really messes me up is when one of the blocks means "no stitch".... well, wtf is the block there for then??????????????
Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
i hate reading charts... i wanted to knit an illusion heart scarf, and reading the chart drove me NUTSO. I ended up going line by line and typing out the directions for each stitch, which took *forever*. The stuff that really messes me up is when one of the blocks means "no stitch".... well, wtf is the block there for then??????????????
I often wondered why the bloody block is there too Von Knittin'!!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

I think a "good" chart is supposed to draw verticle and horizontal bars to designate the pattern area from the blank squares.

If you're more game than I, you can always check out the Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns from Barbara G. Walker at your local library or interlibrary loan....but I warn you, it's very intense. Among the blur, I did see a heart pattern or two in there somewhere (I think.)

Again, I'm stumblin' here, but I think she let's ya know where the blanks are within the pattern too. She gives like pages and pages and pages of footnotes to her graph/charting shorthand.....it was just too much for me...but maybe not for you?

This is why I brought this topic up....I'd like to learn something that won't drive me insane while I learn it. I'll save the complications (or as much as possible) for later on in the skill building.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
I feel like I need to be talked to like I'm 5 as well. Graphs and charts look really neat, but HARD. I need to try intarsia or fair isle soon. I think I'm chicken...loL. I found this yesterday. If you scroll down you can see the chinese calligraphy chart. This has really motivated me to learn how to do this. I took 2 years of Chinese in high school after a three week trip to China. I think the calligraphy would look great on a pillow or something. I still have a bunch of chinese books with calligraphy. Argh, I gotta figure this out!
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jivewhistle
I think the calligraphy would look great on a pillow or something. I still have a bunch of chinese books with calligraphy. Argh, I gotta figure this out!
Great idea Jivewhistle. It was a huge fad back in the late 60's/early 70's. I've had many items with Chinese calligraphy on them ever since.

You've reminded me of a funny story.....worth sharing here I think:

A long time ago, I had this really lousy job at a company I used to work for. The days seemed to go on and on and my efforts mainly went unrewarded. It was a paycheck type of job.

Then one day an old artist friend of mine touched base with me after many years. He said he was doing oriental calligraphy, mainly Haiku, using a translational book so he could scribe while learning new words....but was looking for small projects to sharpen up his skills.

I (jokingly) asked him if he could do "Take this job and shove it" so I could use it for a screen saver at work...while I looked for another job. Within about a week I got an email attachment with the phrase written in calligraphy. Consequently, I took it to work and installed it on my machine there. I had it on for quite some time, until one day, a client from one of the Asian countries came to visit our office here in the States.

After getting to know him a little bit (and knowing he wasn't anal retentive)...I asked him to translate the phrase on my machine....to test my friends skill level. He read it aloud softly until he reached the end and more or less finished reading without saying the end.....and looked at me with a great big smile and a laugh.....so I was able to confirm (in English) my friend is a true master!

LOL
Old 03-30-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

I ws looking around a bit and stumbled onto this little page at the DIY network website: I have just skimmed over it but it seems like they are explaining how to read a chart in teenage-language there.
It might be a help?

edited again: hopefully now I've got a good clicky instead of having to write out the url in full
SimplyKaar is offline   Reply With Quote