Old 04-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

So what patterns/techinques would you like to see?
I keep hearing this froma lot of people, "i love to knit, but its hard to find patterns in "x" yarn or "x" technique that are tasteful/meant for younger knitters/modern/etc". anyone else keep hearing this? Ive gotten a couple emails lately from people who wanted to know (after they herd about the kits i was designing) if i would be making a modern version of the clutch in a beginner freindly pattern, etc. so heres the question:

what would you like to see that doesnt seem to exist on the web?

other things ive heard a lot of:
-purses that arent felted/worked flat and sewn together (clutches esp)
-tasteful/more modern fairlisle for golves and bags
-intrasia that isnt just animals
-new versions of cables that are easy to do but not "frumpy" (im guessing people mostly mean sweater patterns here, though ive heard the complaint for purses too since a lot of cable patterns on purses are a bit dated)
-fairisle glove patterns in more unusual/non standard designs
-beads & knitting
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
midnightskyfibers is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Annette
Casting On

Techniques I'd like to see
Hello,

I'm a new knitter and am trying to make a sweater for a big one year-old -- probably the size of a 1 unto 2-year-old.

I have a pattern for a 1-year-old -- is there a way of increasing the number of stitches to customize the pattern for a big baby?

Also, I'm just interested in a site that has the dimensions in cm's or inches of normal sizes (1 year-olds, 2 year-olds, and so on).

Have you got any suggestions? :D

Annette
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

i know knitty has a pattern for adults where you make a sweater based on your measurements, and that it wasbased of a version of a kids sweater also on knitty (knitty actually has a bunch of cute kid patterns)

i think standard sizing doesnt really exist in the knitting world, its up to most designers. This website: http://www.yarnstandards.com/sizing.html has some good general guidlines though (scroll to the bottom and click shild to see the actual charts)

I wishi had a reason to design kids clothes but i donthave any kids
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
Old 04-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

Annette, this is kind of a funny way to do it, but I used a pattern for a one year old, but used a chunky yarn instead of worsted, and it came out the perfect size for my almost-two-year-old. The pattern I was using had multiple sizes, though -- I just followed the directions for the small size, but checked the measurements listed for the larger size.

(Loooove this pattern...lol, I should put it in my sig, the way I keep raving about it. The basic rollneck sweater pattern from Knitting for Baby.)
Old 04-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Annette
Casting On

Question for Julie
Julie,

Thanks for the suggestion on worsted wool -- however, the yarn I have is actually thinner (rather than thicker) than the yarn I used before. I just want to use it up!

So maybe I'll just wing it -- and measure as I go.

If you hae any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Annette
Old 04-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Annette
Casting On

Question for Julie
Julie,

Thanks for the suggestion on worsted wool -- however, the yarn I have is actually thinner (rather than thicker) than the yarn I used before. I just want to use it up!

So maybe I'll just wing it -- and measure as I go.

If you hae any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Annette
Old 04-03-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
There are not enough patterns for AMPLE sized women. ESPECIALLY ones that are not big boxes. I DO have a waistline, you know!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

PLUS SIZE PATTERNS
I also wish I could find more plus size patterns. Just sweaters, tanks, etc, but in REAL women's sizes for us Rubenesque gals. I'd like to knit something for myself besides afghans. I did find one book at Joann's with a variety of sweaters, but they were all done up in homespun which I have mixed feelings about.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
I agree with bag patterns that AREN'T felted. Nothing against the felted ones though.

I would love to see a whole website dedicated to making bags and NOT old lady bags. I think just a general FAQ on design and purse making would be very helpful to other (new) knitters like myself. OoOoO and a forum on there would be cool too. One day if I ever figure this whole purse thing out, maybe I'll make a site..lol.

And there definately is not enough web resourses for beads and knitting which would also be cool.
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:42 PM   #10
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

im in the middle of writing up a pattern for a bag that can be felted or not thats knit on flat needles that has...i think they are called gussets- thats what they are in sewing anyways. I was trying to design a bag the had some simple shaping that could be easily modified but was knit on straight (ok so i used a circ, since thats what ws with me at the time) needles, but looked like a bag knit in the round.

(now if only i hadnt just thrown it in the wash before i took pics...opps! sorry. but i really do like felted bags...i just hate knitting them so huge- i always feel like "wow whered all my knitting go O.o after its felted!)

large sweaters- i know! and a lot of the patterns that exist dont seem like they would be flattering. though i think these look pretty cute:
http://www.magknits.com/chilly04/patterns/donna.htmand the new knitty looked like it had a tank top with some sizing options here: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTw.html
Midnightsky Fibers Blog