Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
feministmama
Instepping Out

Dyeing cotton
Does it work like wool? Or do you have to do anything special? I've tye dyed cotton t-shirts before, is it the same?
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #2
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

nope. cotton is a plany fiber, not a protien so it needs a base (ie salt) to dye it, not an acid (vinegar). While you can use dyes meant for protien, dyes meant for cotton, like RIT, will work better.
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
midnightskyfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by midnightskyfibers
nope. cotton is a plany fiber, not a protien so it needs a base (ie salt) to dye it, not an acid (vinegar). While you can use dyes meant for protien, dyes meant for cotton, like RIT, will work better.
AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa. OK Thanks.
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

I've dyed (cotton crochet thread) with much success with Rit myself. But there's an even better dye called Procion MX that won't fade as much (if at all) over time. Properly done, your results will turn out as close to professional as can be achieved at home.

I think I've posted this before, perhaps one day we can stick it on a list of "Must-Have" links or something?

If you opt to use Procion MX, if I can make a suggestion that you also pick up some Synthrapol (a prewash and post dye detergent) AND Retayne or similar product to help set your your dye permanently. You can find suppliers for all of these items through the links within the site referenced above.
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote