Old 04-04-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Miss Suzie
Ribbing the Cuff

Working into the cross loop? k1 tbl, k1, k1 tbl, k1
Im working on my first cardigan (sweater) and the istructions reads:

work 4 into cross loop before foll st (=k1 tbl, k1, k1 tbl, k1).

Ok, I understand how to how to work one into the cross loop but 4 into cross loop I am not sure of. Lets see if I got this right.

Pick up the cross loop with left needle and knitt one through the yarn in the back of that loop,with out moving the loop over to the other needle I continue by knitting one in the front of the same loop that I had picked up then move it to the other needle. That would be k1 tbl, k1, right??

This next step is where I get a little comfused ok ok a lot confused!

Next, I pick up the cross loop once again and start over. Or, do I continue knitting through the same loop over again until a total of 4 has been knitted?? Oh boy this is a doozie for me I have a big mess on my hands and I have pulled this one out 5 or 6 times, I have been Banging Head Against Wall on this one...HELP PLEASE

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Miss Suzie!

Sounds like a Bar Increase (see increase page for video). Do it twice before slipping stitch off left needle.

Hope that helps!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Miss Suzie
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you Amy,
I did try this a couple of times, but it always seemed so tight trying to get all of it in one loop/stitch. I had no trouble the first k1 tbl k1, but when I would try the second k1 tbl I could hardly get my needle through the loop. I will go back and look at the video and see if I can make it work this time around.
I am that it will work for me because looking at the intructions I have a few of these to do, and I don't want to give up!

Miss Suzie
Old 04-05-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

You can try working it on the tip of the left needle, where there's more room in the stitch. Or even transfer the work to a smaller left needle so it's more roomy to knit from.

Good luck!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 04-06-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
Miss Suzie
Ribbing the Cuff

work 4 into cross loop before foll st (=k1 tbl, k1, k1 tbl,
Amy, I watched the video and am wondering what the cross loop is? is the bar a cross loop? work 4 into the cross loop before foll st. I will try the smaller needles tomarrow and see if that helps me...I am pooped at this moment and not sure I'm makeing any sence anymore!
Thank you, so much for all the help, I just might become a real knitter after all :rollseyes:
Miss Suzie
Old 04-06-2005, 01:14 AM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: work 4 into cross loop before foll st (=k1 tbl, k1, k1 t
Originally Posted by Miss Suzie
Amy, I watched the video and am wondering what the cross loop is? is the bar a cross loop? work 4 into the cross loop before foll st. I will try the smaller needles tomarrow and see if that helps me...I am pooped at this moment and not sure I'm makeing any sence anymore!
Thank you, so much for all the help, I just might become a real knitter after all :rollseyes:
Miss Suzie
...I've never heard of that term before, but I'm guessing they want you to twist the stitch before working it, maybe to prevent a gap from forming under the stitch from working all these increases into it? Hmmm, I'll have to try that sometime, and see if it actually works. Well anyway, what I'm picturing is, pull the stitch off the left needle, twist it clockwise, and replace it onto the left needle. Then work the stitch as directed.

That's my guess.

Amy
Old 04-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Miss Suzie
Ribbing the Cuff

work 4 into cross loop before foll st (=k1 tbl, k1, k1 tbl,
Oh Amy, I think I finaly have it. I tryed the intructions you gave me, didn't work quite right. What I needed was to split the two stitches from the back side which happens to be pearl. So, I sat and looked at the stitches for awhile and thought about your instuctions and it hit me: They are calling the cross stitch the loop that you get on the bottom of a pearl stitch. So I picked it up and twist it clockwise placed it onto the left needle. Then work the stitch as directed. When knitting the return row the count came out right so to have k2 p2 k2 all the way across the row with out a great big hole under it!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I would have never have gotten it without you :D and a goodnights sleep

Miss Suzie