Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

KH Monthly Challenge-MAY
Here's this month's challenge... Since we know April showers bring May flowers, this month I want you to knit a flower!
A flower pin, a flower choker, the cool flowery tunic thingy on knitty.com, a felted purse with a flower, flower intarsia on your summer tank.... maybe you are knitting your mom a "boo-kay" of flowers for Mother's Day! Baskets of Yarn in NC has a free pattern for "flowers of hope" they were knitting this winter to help battered women. The event is over, but the pattern is still there.
Don't forget to post your pictures when you are finished! I lost my picture, so I'll have to re-take and update. Happy Knitting!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
knitfun
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, I'm IN! I'll be knitting a few flowers, I hear that they are contageous. I just have to figure out how to knit into the front and back of the stitches. Haven't done that yet!

Thanks for the link to Baskets of Flowers. Their pattern looks easy enough. Gotta check out Amy's videos for knitting into the front and back.

Thanks Hildi!
pattern!

Lori
knitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
hippodamia
Ribbing the Cuff

I just finished knitting my first item!!!! OK, kinda second, but haven't totally finished my first item (a purse, need to sew it up and add the strap to it).

Anyway, it was a flower washcloth found in the Weekend Knitting ( or Knitter?) book. It was really fun to do, since I got to practice so many new techniques being the newbie knitter that I am. I'll try to take a picture of it later this evening and post it here.

For my next project, I wanted to make a baby sweater, so I may try this pattern out and try out this monthly knit along: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTdaisy.html

although this dress is absolutely adorable too!! http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTanouk.html

So, not exactly knitting a flower, but they have flowers in them

I am 5 months pregnant, but have no clue what we are having, but my neighbor just had a little girl, so i was thinking of making this for her.

fun! :D
hippodamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
Mer
Working the Gusset

Did you all see the flower patterns at knitty? I'm thinking of trying a couple of those. Cute idea!
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Mer thanks for the link to knitty! They have so MUCH stuff!

Hippo, yay! you win for fastest challenge completion! Will you post a pic of your washcloth? I LOVE the baby dresses! And they are perfect for this challenge... It doesn't have to BE a flower, just use a flower in your project somewhere! Great ideas!

Knit fun, here's some links to Amy's videos for the bar increase (knit in front and back) Continental and English. HTH!

and since I just love this emoticon I'll just stick it here. :D
Old 05-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
hippodamia
Ribbing the Cuff

Here's the flower washcloth I made. This is my first ever completed knitting project, yay. I just bought a bunch of acrylic yarn on my first knitting shopping spree, so I didn't have any of the cotton stuff for the pattern. I got things totally backwards when I moved from my circular to double-point needles, oops!! I was about to give up at that point because everything kept slipping off my double-point needles, ugh, but once I got going it was better. Anyway, it was lots of fun to make!

Right now we are using it on our kitchen table to put stuff on :D

Also, I decided - making the Anouk - it's just too cute!! http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTanouk.html

So, from my initial yarn purchase, I have some Lion Brand Baby Soft (Spring Green for the main part of the dress and probably pastel yellow for the pocket background, I only have white left after that! ) I think the yarn may be a little thinner than what is mentioned in the pattern, but not by much. ?? So, I am guessing if I make the 6 month size, I suppose that should be fine? It's for a baby just born in April. Although with this pattern, I don't think it matters so much :-)

I can't wait to get started, will probably start tomorrow evening.
hippodamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

YAY! thanks for sharing!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
There's a crochet pattern here.

Carol

-sorry I didn't do anything knotty last month, I meant to!

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Carol thathat is SO CUTE! It looks like something KK would wear (that's a nice thing, KK!) Don't feel bad about the something knotty, intentions are good too! Will you be doing this hat or the flower for this mornth's challenge?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:28 AM   #10
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
I just got some cotton chenille, so I think I'm going to try the flower washcloth. Unfortunately, the chenille is beige. I guess I could try dying it...if I had some dye.

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote