Old 04-17-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
HyperCello
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to HyperCello Send a message via Yahoo to HyperCello
What am I doing wrong?
Ok, I'm having tons of trouble with the second row. I have no idea of what I'm doing, but it just doesn't look right to me. Can you figure out what I'm doing wrong? Please explain in very simple terms--I haven't picked up any of the knitting terms yet. TIA!

First row:

Second row:
HyperCello is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
MrsBear87
1st Leg of the Journey

Row 2
Well, it's a little hard for me to tell from the photo, because you're looking at the bottom of the knitting, but here's my guesses:
  • Keep in mind, stockingette stitch curls, so you may just be seeing that.
    Don't knit too tightly, if you can help it. If you cast on tightly, it may be hard for you to get the needle in.
    Be sure to watch the videos several times to get the flow of things.

Krishnamurti

http://www.mrsbearswoods.blogspot.com
http://www.bearwoodsknitting.com
MrsBear87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well i am fairly new but i can't see anything wrong with what you have there. One thing that the lady who taught me said while i was stitching with her though, was that i was too new to know what doesn't feel right yet. (mind you i think i was on the third row i had ever done so i was very very new!) As it is, she was right...by the time i had a few rows done it was pretty apparent that i was doing it right and i just needed to trust it a little. :XX:

Brenda
brendajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
Are you trying to do the knit stitch or the purl stitch, or some combination of the two? Take a look at Amy's video for the stitch you are trying to do, keeping a close eye on the way she inserts the right needle into the loop on the left needle, and the direction in which the yarn wraps around the tip of the right needle. If you are doing those two things correctly, then it may be your tension. If it is tension, the only thing to do is practice, practice, practice. It will come. Your cast on row looks nice and even, that's a good start! Keep trying, we're here to help!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
HyperCello
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to HyperCello Send a message via Yahoo to HyperCello
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I guess I should have said that is suppose to be a knit stitch. And that's more the side view than the bottom. It just looks like a huge jumbled mess to me. My hubby downloaded the videos for me at work, and is bringing them home for me to watch tonight (we have slow dial-up at home). I don't have anyone I know who knits, so I can't just take it to someone and say "does this look right??". It sure doesn't look like any of the drawings in the book I got (just one of the little "Learn how to" books by Coats).
HyperCello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
You are gonna totally LOVE the videos!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote