Old 04-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Carie
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Carie
HELP! Modifying sleeve cap pattern (long post)
Hey – I’m making the sleeves of a pattern. The given directions for the sleeves are shown at the bottom of this long-winded post.

Here’s the thing – the sleeves are supposed to be 16” long and 84 stitches when I start to make the sleeve cap. My stitch gauge is fine, but my row gauge is off. The shape of the armhole/sleeve cap (it’s not really an armhole on the sleeve, is it?! :thinking: ) is a quick decrease at the beginning, a steady decrease to the top, and then a bind-off (no more decreases) at the top. I think that the top of the sleeve cap, where you “bind off the remaining stitches” is supposed to be 56 stitches remaining (see the pattern at the bottom of the post).

It looks like I will reach 16” when I only have 72 stitches on my needle. I’ll need to do some reconfiguring to make the sleeve cap fit the sweater. I don’t know how to do that.

I ***think*** at 16” length, I will have 72 stitches on the needle. I think that at the end of the sleeve cap (i.e., the top of the sleeve), I’m supposed to have 50 stitches remaining. But if I follow the pattern with a 12 stitch deficit, I’ll only have 38 stitches left. If I follow the pattern, the sleeve cap will be too long.

I’m getting 14 r to 2.2 inches. I think their instructions are telling me to finish the sleeve caps/armholes in 36 rows (is that how you read it?). That would be 15 cm by their pattern, or about 6” for the cap/armhole. So I guess I have to change my decreases to get from 72 stitches to 50 stitches over 6” instead of from 84 st to 50 st over 6”.

Am I doing the math right? How should I adjust the decreases so it fits the armhole?

When they say “cast off 7 st every 2nd row (1x) and cast off 11 st 2x….” they’re saying
“start the row by binding off the first 7 stitches and finish the row; bind off the first 7 stitches of the next row and finish the row, cast off the first 11 st of the next row….etc” , right?

This is how I made the back of the sweater. I cast on 86 st. Starting row 100, I decreased 14 st over 14 rows (ending row 113) (=72 st rem). Then I worked even rows 114 to 146 (72 st rem). I decreased 7 st on row 147 and row 148 (58 st rem). I decreased 11 stitches on row 149 (47 st rem) and row 150 (36 st rem), and bound off the remaining st.

Here’s the sleeves pattern as given by the pattern author:

“Cast on 36 st and work in basic pattern…..inc at both edges 1 st in every alternate 6th and 8th row (12x). At 41 cm (about 16” long), shape armhole at both sides: in every 2nd row, cast off 3 st (1x), 2 st (1x), and 1 st (2x). In every 4th row, cast off 1 st (2x) and again in every 2nd row 1 st (6x), 2 st (1x) and 3 st (2x). When work is 56 cm, cast off the rem st…”

Sorry this is so long. I tried to put in all the info.

So…..how do I make the sleeve caps :-]?

TIA,

Carie

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-19-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Re: HELP! Modifying sleeve cap pattern (long post)
Originally Posted by Carie
I’m getting 14 r to 2.2 inches.

When they say “cast off 7 st every 2nd row (1x) and cast off 11 st 2x….” they’re saying
“start the row by binding off the first 7 stitches and finish the row; bind off the first 7 stitches of the next row and finish the row, cast off the first 11 st of the next row….etc” , right?

This is how I made the back of the sweater. I cast on 86 st. Starting row 100, I decreased 14 st over 14 rows (ending row 113) (=72 st rem). Then I worked even rows 114 to 146 (72 st rem). I decreased 7 st on row 147 and row 148 (58 st rem). I decreased 11 stitches on row 149 (47 st rem) and row 150 (36 st rem), and bound off the remaining st.
OK- I've read this and unfortunately no light bulbs.

First, I think the instructions for the back ofthe sweater mean to bind off 7 sts every second row once (1x), not twice like you did.

When it says to "cast off 11 sts 2x", is there anything else that follows or was that the end of the sentence?

What is the recommended gauge for this pattern? Can you tell by that how long the sleeves should be?

By my math, I get that at 16" you should have 49 sts, and at the very top of the sleeve, you should have 25 sts. The most confusing part for me is the "inc at both edges 1 st in every alternate 6th and 8th row (12x)." I'm not sure if you count every 6th and 8th row 12 times and increase every other (so 6 sets of increases total = 12sts), or if you count every 6th and 8th row and increase 12 times on every other 6th and 8th (24sts). I would need to figure this out by what gauge the pattern says to get. If done the second way, the sleeve would be considerably longer and one would have 60 sts at 16" and 37 sts at the top.

sorry I can't help much,
Carol

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
Carie
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Carie
You helped. I guess it's not me. the pattern is confusing. I think it's a translation from Italian to English, and maybe something was lost in translation. I am interpreting the inc's to be 12 sets of inc'ing at every 6th and 8th rows. That ends up with too long sleeves or too few stitches. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I'll try to re-read and see if I can glean more info.

Also, I don't think I dec'd 7 st twice twice. I just did it once, but at the beginning of 2 rows in a row (if that is at all clear). Dec'd 7 at the beginning of one row, then dec'd 7 at the beginning of the next. I think if you're dec'ing to make the back of a sweater, you have to decrease symetrically. Maybe I did it wrong. I'm getting all confused now. Maybe I'll just make it a sleeveless sweater!

Last issue, knitty had a tome about the art of the sleeve. REally, it's about 25 pages. I don't have the mental energy at this time to read and understand it. (idea! maybe I should write to the author!)

Carie
Old 04-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
oh, yes, I see what you're saying about the 7 sts now - sorry, yes, you do sound correct. Symmetry would be very important!

It's so hard to envision and I'm not the most experienced person around. Sorry I can't help more.

Carol

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote