Old 04-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #1
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
For money
I am SOOO totally torn....

I like the "idea" of me working...baaahaaaa.....but that's about it.

Has anyone here been REALLY successful in making money knitting? I make now about 300.00 a month at my part time job, and would like to just replace that income doing something I love. (I am talking profit, not gross sales)....

I am also torn, because I am a giver of sorts, I love to make things for people....but I'd like to feed my habit too..

what are your thoughts on this?

I don't want to do craft fairs, have done them in the past, and I don't want to give up my Saturdays. Thinking boutiques..??? consignment shops??? I have a friend that is successful with her easy peasy scarves. But how long will those fun scarves be in fashion??? AAAAAA

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
feministmama
Instepping Out

Ya know I think about this too. But then I think if I start doing this for money will it just become another job? Will it end up just being a drag? Will I (dare I say it?) come to hate it? GASP! But if you're just doing it part time then maybe not. How about teaching knitting classes to kids at the community center? Consignment in boutiques iss good too cuz it's on your own time table. Don't just do scarves. Do funky hats, little purses, dolls ro invent something. remember the womb on knitty? invent a...a... I don't know... a fetus? Or a fetus in a womb? I'm not trying to be gros but if you made it in a loving way. There's a woman here who makes strange dolls and hearts and strange creatures and folks love them. I don't know, maybe something else like rainbows that dangle in windows, or Oooh I know, baby diaper dcovers! Folks love those things. There's thread somewhere about them here. How about socks with funky colors. I don't know I'm just thinking off the top of my head.
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
feministmama
Instepping Out

Ooh OOOoh I saw this in another thread. How bout making these and sellin em in baby stores?

http://www.littleturtleknits.com/adultpatterns.htm
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Heather... I want to do this too and am working at it. Unlike you, I want to do some craft fairs coz there are some really neat ones here in the Catskills. What femmama says makes a lot of sense, you wouldn't want it to become WORK. But. There are a lot of approaches & I think finding something unique to make is a big key. Well, unique to you. Re the baby diapers covers... I saw a website last week, incredible (I don't know where it is now) but it's this woman who has a full time job, a baby, and also makes diaper covers that she designs and sells for..... $65! Sixty five dollars for one diaper cover.

amazing

Have to give you that link if I can find it, it's interesting.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

and the thing is ...I would feel like I would be totally ripping them off if I charged THAT much!! (my giving instinct)...

AND, I have exactly your thoughts of it possibly becoming WORK.....

nothing ventured, nothing gained...but unfortunatly the funds aren't quite what they need to be for me to really feel like I could give it a GOOD try...

I don't mind going around town hawking my stuff....and I GET that rejection is part of the deal.....

but she got like 30 bux for a one skein garter scarf....she only continental knits....

SO...gradually I am getting a stock pile....but geesh....why do things HAVE to be so darned HARD???

I am not in the designing aspect of my "career" yet...I do have a web domain...so THAT's a goodie thing...nothing on it yet. :( bleha.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

I sell knit stuff occasionally, but prefer to just sell my yarn, fibers, and kits.

Some things to consider:
1. dont have a site? try a consignment shop first. start reading about businesses and find out stuff about various consignment stores @ theswitchboards.com. Ive had decent luck with consignemnt shops.

2. It needs to be original and interesting, espeically online.

3. You cant ussually sell from patterns that you didnt make up- thats part of the copyright, unless you get permission to. But its better to make something original imo anyways,

4. pricing- one of the most important issues! Yes, you could sell a scarf pretty cheap and still make $ on it (though not for time) but then you are not only selling yourself short, but others as well! Indie business is about working together, not undercutting other people. And people who shop at indie businesses are willing to pay more for things that are well done and handmade.

5. determine wholesale first- ussually cost of supplies plus time for startign out. overhead etc are only important imo if this is going to be a big big thing... then, determine retail (double wholesale cost). So for example if it takes me $1 worth of supplies and half an hour to make something (all the way through!, paying myself 6 and hour), my wholesale would be 5, retail 10.

6. i dont think you will be making 300 a month- thats a huge amount of knitting! but custom knitting and knitting for pay would also let you sample a variety of yarns.

6. know the market and use quality goods. I cant stress this enough!
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
midnightskyfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Quote:
i dont think you will be making 300 a month
this is exactly (one of the many really) things I was thinking....just wonder if it COULD be done...Thank you SOOOO very much for taking the time to answer me!!!!!

I would also NEED consistancy..which I know, there are NO guarantees....

i will read, and re-read and digest!!!

Old 04-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Quote:
saw a website last week, incredible (I don't know where it is now) but it's this woman who has a full time job, a baby, and also makes diaper covers that she designs and sells for..... $65! Sixty five dollars for one diaper cover.
I've paid over $100 before. I've seen them go for over $200 for a special design.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #9
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

see..that's the thing...people DO spend money....(I am not one of them....) I have what I am thinking of as a gift, and I want to make MONEY!!!

Oh...and I AM designing my first project....hehehe....nothing special....but FUN...

so 6 diaper covers, and I wouldn't have to work for the rest of the month!!! not really, I guess I need to find my kitchen sink of knitting!!!

Old 04-21-2005, 09:11 PM   #10
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
$200 for something a baby is going to pee in, OH MY GOD! I'm sorry, it had to be said. I was going to point out that one of the biggest areas for market growth is the luxury baby item. But I guess my point has already been made.

I had a plan to design and make toddler size clothes (sewing), but the more I looked into it, the less enthused I got. Hats off to all of you working on this type of business, it's not a piece of cake.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote