Old 04-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Charlotte Kopf
Ribbing the Cuff

AMY I am stuck on the NC Baby Sock Pattern
PATTERN FOR COTTON BABY YARN. The one you knit on the CD.
I ask a question earlier about right side-wrong side of sock knitting. Everything would go well except something doesn,t look right just before Divide for Heel. It says WORK 3 ROUNDS OF STOCKINETTE STITCH. Knit every row. When I do that It doesn't look right. I have watched the cd until I have it almost memorized and you dont mention this part(i dont think) anyway in sock knitting do you work on inside of sock as at the begining and then next row on outside ???? I am not sure I make sense. I know how to knit on circulars without a problem but this is making me crazy. As far as the rest of the sock I think I have it down. Please help this dense little lady and make my day. Thanks and take care.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Charlotte,

The instructions say:

Quote:
(K2, P2) around. Work in K2-P2 ribbing for 15 rounds. Work 3 rounds of stockinette stitch (knit every round). At beginning of next round divide for heel.
OK, so you've done your 15 rounds of k2-p2.

Now you knit one row. Then knit another row. Then knit a third row.

Alrighty, now we're about to start the fourth row. The instructions say this row is where we have to divide up the stitches for the heel.

Quote:
DIVIDE FOR HEEL:
Transfer stitches around so that there are 12 stitches on the first needle, and 6 stitches on each of the other two needles.
At this point, you have 8 stitches on each needle.

1) Slip 4 stitches from needle 2 over to needle 1. That gives you 12 stitches on needle 1. So far so good.

2) Needle 2 now has only 4 stitches on it. Slip 2 stitches from needle 3 onto needle 2. Now you have 6 stitches on needle 2.

3) You will notice that you now also have 6 stitches remaining on needle 3.

It may look weird, but it will all work out in the end. Have faith!

So now you just forget about needles 2 & 3 for the time being. Those are "instep needles" and you will come back to them later. At this point, you are only going to work on the 12 stitches on needle 1. These are known as your "heel flap" stitches.

The instructions say:

Quote:
Work back and forth across the first needle ONLY as follows:
Row1: Slip 1, knit to end.
Row 2: Slip 1, purl to end.
Repeat these 2 rows for 12 rows total, then work row 1 once more. The heel will be 13 rows long.
Yes, OK. We have needle 1 and we're ready to go.

So, slip 1, and knit to the end of needle 1.

Congratulations! You have just completed row 1 of the "heel flap". This was the "right side" (RS) of the sock - the outside of the sock.

Now, you turn your work around so you're looking at the purlside of the stitches on needle 1. The purlside is the inside of the sock's "heel flap". This will be row 2. Slip 1, and then purl to the end.

That's row 2 completed! Hooray!

Now, turn the work around again. You're looking at the outside of the sock's heel flap. Slip one and knit to the end. That's row 3 completed.

Now, turn the work around again to the purlside - the inside of the heel flap. You're ready to start row 4....

And so forth until you reach row 13 as per the instructions.

I hope that helps make it a little clearer...
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Charlotte Kopf
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks Amy Go back to -----
Knit one row, knit another row, knit another row thats my question ??? Do I knit a row then TURN knit another then TURN is there a knit side then turn for the next row--purl side .???? For some reason this is confusing me. I am so sorry to bother you again. I appreciate your help and kindness. Thanks
PS I will be printing out your previous instructions. They will be a great help.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Charlotte,

You asked:

Quote:
Knit one row, knit another row, knit another row thats my question ??? Do I knit a row then TURN knit another then TURN is there a knit side then turn for the next row--purl side .????
Aha!!! Now I understand what's confusing you. In the pattern in says:

Quote:
(K2, P2) around. Work in K2-P2 ribbing for 15 rounds. Work 3 rounds of stockinette stitch (knit every round). At beginning of next round divide for heel.
When you knit "flat" (eg for a scarf or something) and you want to produce a "stockinette stitch", you knit one side of your knitting, and then turn and purl the other side, right? So in flat knitting, stockinette is always knit one row, turn and purl the next row, turn and knit the next row...and so on.

BUT, when you knit in the round (as for a socks or hats etc), a stockinette stitch is produced by simply knitting (no need to turn ever).

If you started another piece in the round and simply knit every stitch, what you would find is that you automatically get knit stitches on the outside of your work, and purl stitches on the inside of your work.

So to get those three rows in stockinette stitch on a sock, you simply knit for three rows. There is no turning involved because you automatically get knit stitches on the outside of your work (RS), and purl stitches on the inside (WS). So:

Row 14: *k2,p2* repeat from *
Row 15: *k2,p2* repeat from *
Row 16: k24
Row 17: k24
Row 18: k24

I hope that my explanation is what you are looking for!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Charlotte, I just found a way better and more concise explanation of "stockinette in the round" posted by MrsBear87 on this current thread:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...pic.php?t=1501
Old 04-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks Salsa!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
Charlotte Kopf
Ribbing the Cuff

THANK YOU You got it
Thanks so much Salsa and Amy. I don't know how you figured out my giberrish but you did. I am really grateful. I want so bad to make socks for all of my grandchildren and greatgrands. Hopefully I won't bother anyone again. That is exactly what I couldn't figure out. Thats me always the simplest part. I always make things harder than they really are. Thanks again and have a good weekend.