Old 04-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

Shoulder Agony
So, I got injured at work, and nearly dislocated my left shoulder. There are some complications with an aggravated nerve bundle, and I'm spending WAY too much time at the physical therapists and doctors. I've had to drop one class completely, take incompletes in two others, and I've been late to work thanks to visits to the midical offices. Things are progressing, but still... bleh.

This is not the real tragedy however. Shoulders heal, the semester will end, and eventually work will go back to normal.

The real tragedy is that I CAN'T KNIT! All the fine motor movements of the left hand (I'm a continental knitter) are a bit much, and since my hand is a bit numb (that darned nerve issue) it's sort of extra complicated anyway.

*sigh*

My obbsession with yarn and knitting goes on, however. I've been reading knitting books and letting my mind wander about things I'll make when I'm better.

Any good knitting books to suggest? Pattern, text, or otherwise? Mind you, I'm interested in the *reading* as much as patterns right now.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

Ow, I feel your pain, having had surgery on each of my shoulders in the past.
Anyway, re: reading suggestions--What about reading up on lace knitting? I had a few interesting books out of the library a month or so ago on this. I can't remember the titles, but they had lots of history and stuff about Shetland wool and various fibers, as well as bios on shawl knitters from Peru, etc. There were patterns in there for historically famous lace patterns, etc. If you can't knit right now, it will make for interesting reading.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
OH YELLOW! Im POUTING for you!!! :(

Although, you dont really strike me as the "pouting" type. That little bit of snarkiness and stubborness is gonna have you healing ahead of schedule, Im SURE of it!

What does your therapist think about knitting as part of your therapy? What about projects on HUGE needles? 17's? 19's? 35's?
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
Jivewhistle
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Jivewhistle Send a message via Yahoo to Jivewhistle
Sorry to hear about your shoulder Yellow! :( I injured my back at work last fall and was out of commission for quite awhile. I hope your work is being generous and paying for everything!

I second Yvonne's suggestion of reading up on lace knitting. The book sounds interesting to me too. I'd love to read about historical patterns.

This book looks kind of funny.

This one looks neat too.

I'm really interested in this one.

Here's a Victorian lace book.

I hope your shoulder heals soooon!
Jivewhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

:crying: I'm so sad for your pain!! But, as u said...healing is coming , so that's a good way to look at it!!
Ok, I have like 25 knitting books (another addiction...lol)
I just got a few in the mail...loop-d-loop is very cool....there's a website looopdloop.com...check it out; just got the knitter's bible...wow...had i known it had sooo much infor i'd have gotten it long ago!! If u go to knitpicks.com & look at their book selection u will be given the opportunity to view some of the pages in some of the books...helps me make decisions about which books to buy (can't always leave the house to check out my local book store, etc); also crafterschoic.com allows u to view a few of their books. if u enjoy intarsia knitting, the new book 'great knitted gifts' is FULL of intarsia...quite interesting
that's a start...let me know if u need more...lol
hope u feel MUCH better and very speedily

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to brookenic Send a message via Yahoo to brookenic
I hope you feel better.

I really liked the books:
Knitting in Plain Engish-all text
Knitting Year Round-text and patterns.
The Knitter's Bible-text,pictures,sts,patterns...evevrything!

Get Well!! :D
Old 04-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #7
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
I said this in my blog, but I am fascinated by Loop-d-loop by Teva Durham. If you're scouting out knitting books, check it out and let me know what you think. I'm so sorry about your arm! Nerve pain sucks, I know. I have hip problems.

I'm sorry about school, too! Things are finally wrapping up here for the semester. Keep your chin up!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you all so much for your support and wonderful ideas for knitting reads! With all this cheer and entertainment, recovery will just fly by.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #9
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder and knitting problems, Yellowness! I hope it gets better soon! Have you tried toying around with English knitting? Just a thought.

I just noticed something cool, and, being a numbers geek, have to point it out to you:

You joined KH on 1/11, and you have made 111 posts to date.

So cool!

Take good care,
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:05 AM   #10
Egeria
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Egeria Send a message via Yahoo to Egeria
You poor thing! I hope you recover very quickly and painlessly!

At Knit's End is supposed to be a good book. I haven't read it yet but its on my Amazon wishlist!

You should make a wishlist for yourself. Then we could all send you something from it :D We knitters must look after each other you know!