Old 05-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Your FAVORITE knitting book ~~ please share
So Mother's Day is fast approaching and I've been dropping hints left right and center......my dh isn't the keenest when it comes to these kinds of things so I need to be blunt!! So I've suggested things like house plants, Starbucks coffee mugs, etc., then I got to thinking "Hmmmmmm, what knitting book would I REALLY like that I wouldn't justify buying for myself????" So I thought I'd ask you ladies! I'm a beginner/intermediate knitter and I like modern/hip/(yet not too weird) patterns. Not necessarily clothing, I like accessory type things, bags, hats, etc., and I have two young children that I like to knit for. I've looked into books like The Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits, Stitch 'n Bitch (the first one or Nation), and The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, but I haven't personally seen any of them (just looked on-line) and I don't want to ask for something that I won't use.

Looking for any and all suggestions!!

:XX:
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-03-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
benniesma
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to benniesma
I have the Yarn Girls Guide. I like it, there are a few sweater patterns that I know I'll try and actually wear! gasp! But, they only use chunky yarn, so it's a little limiting that way. And most patterns call for knitting with 2 strands. I think that can be a little expensive after awhile!

Let us know what book you do get. I need to expand my knitting library too!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to brookenic Send a message via Yahoo to brookenic
I love The Knitters' Bible. There are simple patterns and more challenging ones when you get to that. It has a st. library and lots of great info about Knitting. I love mine, well the library's copy for now. I'll get around to buying it one day. :D
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Well who would have ever thought of the library?? I didn't until I read your post -- I just requested 5 knitting books from our public library. YAY!!

:XX:
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

When it comes to being informative, I love Vogue Knitting, the Ultimate Knitting Book. I consider myself to be an experienced knitter, and I STILL refer to it from time to time. It's full of techniques and info, not patterns.

For all those little tips and tricks knitters learn through experience, I love Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Without Tears.

For stories about knitting and yarn, Knit Lit and Knit Lit Too. Just good reading when you can't knit.

For patterns? Heck, I haven't met a pattern book I didn't like in *some* way, and I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
MaggieL
Knitting the Flap

I have Knitter's Finishing Techniques and Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I both of them.

Hum...I hope I have the titles right. I'll go check.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
Julie
Instepping Out

My fave so far is Melanie Falick's Knitting for Baby. I knew from the get-go that I was going to do a lot of kid knitting, so I checked it out from the library....for two months. It has fantastic general instructions, for continental knitters (!) and the projects are arranged logically -- i.e. learn a skill, do a corresponding project. And the projects aren't tacky like a lot of beginner ones. I give it 4 stars!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
KnittingMom
Ribbing the Cuff

I love, love, love Weekend Knitting and Last Minute Knitted Gifts! I don't actually have a copy of the last book but I coveted the copy I got from the library!

Knitting for awhile but still feel like a newbie
My Blog
KnittingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #9
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by KnittingMom
I love, love, love Weekend Knitting and Last Minute Knitted Gifts! I don't actually have a copy of the last book but I coveted the copy I got from the library!
Ditto on both these titles. Really fun and interesting ideas. And weekend knitting has a whole aura of knitting in it like a list of movies with knitting and a reicepe for making cookies and tea while knitting and taking a warm bath while knitting. It's really fun. I HIGHLY recommend it.
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
MaggieL
Knitting the Flap

I've looked for Weekend Knitting but haven't found it. :( Is it similar to Last Minute Knitted Gifts?
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote