Old 05-10-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
Men knitting in public
I recently had an experience that I found totally amusing. While I was in the hospital, well my son was in the hospital I was there to sign the paperwork, I figured I'd take my afghan project with me. I kept getting strange looks from just about everybody there. I mean here's the scene: Basically, a hospital waiting room with roughly about 20 or so people, mixed company, and me, just pulling out my knitting stuff. had roughly 20 pairs of eyes all on me. Got a few smirks and jeers from some of the men in the room, and quite a few eyebrows raised from the women, some of which who were also knitting themselves. Personally, I found the situation funny, even though I rarely like being the center of attention. I did have a few questions asked about what I was working on, but some of the questions were more jeers than anything. So my question here is what, fundamentally, is wrong with a man knitting in public? I know that it's generally not socially acceptable that a man knits in public, but I'm the type of guy that, generally, ignores what the rest of the public thinks, though, I am curious about this particular subject. Could anybody enlighten me?

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Did ya see the post about Worldwide Knit in Public Day??

Im sure the jeers came because you were CHALLENGING a few stereotypes...CHALLENGE AWAY!!!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Yeah, I saw that post, Kelly. And I'm fully planning on doing it, my friend Suzanne was planning on getting a bunch of friends and knitting at our local Barnes and Noble Bookstore.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum Rorshach!

Oh man, that would really bother me. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to knit in public if I was faced with that attitude constantly! It's great to hear that the looks and jeers roll off you back.

It's men like you that will change the way people see knitting (it's about time!). I think it's simply a matter of people seeing it and getting used to seeing something they're not used to seeing. Once people see it more (which they are, slowly, there are more men knitting now, definitely), I think the strong female associations with knitting will loose their hold on people's consciousness, and the judgements will dissipate on their own.

When I put up my CafePress store, with t-shirts and buttons, etc., I'm planning a few for you guy knitters. Loof says his favorite of my t-shirt ideas is "Guy Knitter. Don't have a heart attack." (Pretty much says it all, don'tcha think? :rollseyes LOL.
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

*dying laughing over here* So true, Amy, so true. I will be looking for that shirt myself, and buy a couple myself. Thanks for the warm welcome too. :D

Old 05-10-2005, 02:20 AM   #6
Kilgore_Trout
Ribbing the Cuff

Way to go! No shame! I'm also a man who knits in public! I'm in Germany where people seem to like to stare at just about anything, but the comments seem to be limited to "Oh my gosh, is that guy knitting??!" I recently spoke with my mother on the subject and she said that when her parents were young, all the boys took knitting and sewing at camp, and some of them were quite good! Perhaps there was a time when it wasn't so strange, lets bring it back! My guy friends in SF have a knitting circle, which is how I got on the wagon.
Check out www.menwhoknit.com to see what the mens are doing these days!

When is knitting in public day?
Kilgore_Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:57 AM   #7
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Well, I figure it this way, it doesn't really matter what gender you are to be an artisan. The fact is, is that we are artisans. I don't mind people staring, I find it amusing, considering that I have a pretty good idea of what the heck is going through their minds at that particular point in time, peoples emotions tend to be easy to read when their faced with something that doesn't make sense.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
Quote:
So my question here is what, fundamentally, is wrong with a man knitting in public? I
nothing...they are idiots!!!!!!!!!!!

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:55 AM   #9
franna724
Ribbing the Cuff

I have never seen a man knit in public, but if I did, I would think it was cool!

People get uncomfortable when gender stereotypes are challenged, but they are closed-minded. I wouldn't give them a second thought.

Anna
franna724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
Norman
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Norman Send a message via AIM to Norman Send a message via MSN to Norman Send a message via Yahoo to Norman
GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I've not had the opp to KIP.. but comming this wednesday we have our knitting group at Barnes and noble.. So... we'll see how that goes.. I know I'll get a couple of glances and giggles.. but screw it.. right

Knitting Blog
Webdesigner, Developer and all around nice guy
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote