Old 05-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
angeluc58
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to angeluc58 Send a message via Yahoo to angeluc58
Help with yarn forward
I know this sounds simple, but I have tried this pattern at least 15 times and I always end up short stitches. My question is this...in the pattern p1, p2tog, p5, yf, (k1, yf, p5, p3tog, p5, yf) twice, k1, yf, p5, p2tog, p1....the yf has me stumped. When I p5 the yarn is already forward *shrug*, so what do they mean? I start out with 45 stitches in purl...then the next row is the above pattern and when I'm done I am always 3 stitches short. Please help...I really love this project and I'm stumped.
angeluc58 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
I'm just wondering if there is a typo and it should be a yo, seems like you're decreasing stitches, but not doing an increase anywhere to keep the same amount of stitches. What pattern is it anyway?

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Aby
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via ICQ to Aby Send a message via AIM to Aby Send a message via Yahoo to Aby
I think there needs to be secret decoder rings for some of these patterns... They could put them in the center of the skein.. so instead of searching for the other end of the yarn, you could wiggle around in there for the ring.. like we used to do in cracker jacks or cereal... only less messy

On a side note, I am happy to announce that I dug through my box of corn pops and found a light saber spoon.. Now I just have to buy more boxes to get all the colors
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

I think I found an explanation:

http://www.keyboardbiologist.net/Tec...orwardKnit.htm
Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Help with yarn forward
Originally Posted by angeluc58
I know this sounds simple, but I have tried this pattern at least 15 times and I always end up short stitches. My question is this...in the pattern p1, p2tog, p5, yf, (k1, yf, p5, p3tog, p5, yf) twice, k1, yf, p5, p2tog, p1....the yf has me stumped. When I p5 the yarn is already forward *shrug*, so what do they mean? I start out with 45 stitches in purl...then the next row is the above pattern and when I'm done I am always 3 stitches short. Please help...I really love this project and I'm stumped.
Hmm ... :thinking: My thoughts in red...
p1, p2tog, p5, yf wrap the yarn up & over the needle and back to a purl position. , (k1, yf I think this extraneous since you're about to purl anyway...UNLESS they really mean YO, in which case, you'd do a complete wrap around the needle ending ready for purl , p5, p3tog, p5, yf up&over and back to purl position ) twice, k1, yf up&over and back to purl position. , p5, p2tog, p1

Anyone else care to chime in ??

What pattern are you working? Is it online?

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #6
Silver
Instepping Out

Although YF and YO are NOT the same thing, some pattern writers still think they are interchangable. In addition, in some countries, yf IS a yarn over.

I'd bet money that this should be a YO, seeing as you're coming up short on stitches. A yf before a knit will create a yarn over anyway. A yf before a purl will NOT create a yarn over. There are 3 of those in this pattern repeat, hence the 3 stitch shortage for the next row.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
angeluc58
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to angeluc58 Send a message via Yahoo to angeluc58
Thanks
Thanks for everyones help. At about midnight last night I figured out the pattern. It is indeed a yo, but it is already in place after the purl and before the knit. Thanks again for all of your help. :XX:

It is in a pattern book I got at the library. "Easy Knitted Accessories" project #23 A Cute Casual Bag.
angeluc58 is offline   Reply With Quote