Old 05-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

Need happy thoughts and good karma tomorrow!
Here's the deal:

My husband flew out for a business trip today to the west coast, I fly out for a business trip tomorrow to the east coast. He called me from the plane this afternoon to tell me that two women were knitting in the seats near him AND not with circular needles!! So, since he's the bomb and super-social he started talking to them to find out exactly what they brought - both had straight needles, one with bamboo and the other with regular metal. They both said that no one gave them a hard time at the airport security at O'Hare!

So this leads me to my request, I'm bringing my needles with me and I'm not going to take no for an answer. I'm not checking my bags either - oh yeah - this woman is on a mission. If a TSA decides to take them then I'm going to play it super sweet, if that doesn't work I'm bringing up the volume and getting mean. I'm not a terrorist. I'm not a raging maniac just looking to stab a flight attendent with my needles - are they crazy I might break them or get stains on my yarn

So I'm asking for some good happy thoughts sometime tomorrow morning to help me get through that security line. I'm ready to be relaxed and knit happily at my gate and on the plane with my straight needles. Like I said, I'm on a mission . . .

Blog & Pictures: http://motherhenknits.blogspot.com/
suziehomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
Good luck with that, Suzie. I'm hoping everything works out for you.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Quote:
So this leads me to my request, I'm bringing my needles with me and I'm not going to take no for an answer. I'm not checking my bags either - oh yeah - this woman is on a mission. If a TSA decides to take them then I'm going to play it super sweet, if that doesn't work I'm bringing up the volume and getting mean. I'm not a terrorist. I'm not a raging maniac just looking to stab a flight attendent with my needles - are they crazy I might break them or get stains on my yarn
I would bring a self addressed stamped envelope just in case. I wouldn't push security if they are going to push the issue... but from what I have heard this is not that common of a problem
Old 05-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
gardenia
1st Leg of the Journey

Good luck! I flew from east to west coast, the spring after 9/11. My boss was teaching me how to knit, so we both had straight needles. Hers were wooden (something fancy, maybe rosewood), mine were plastic. We did get hassled sitting in the airport (can't remember where), but were just fine on the planes. So, I would think it is only better now. I agree with Nuno, though; better safe than sorry. Take that SASE.

Have fun!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Good luck Suzie! (Take the SASE. If nothing else, by taking it, Murphy's law will be on your side. )

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Julie
Instepping Out

Suzie, hopefully it won't be a problem....my mom has flown out of O'Hare several times recently with metal needles, no questions asked. Good luck! :D
Old 05-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Silver
Instepping Out

*Sending good knitting juju*

Good luck!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Yikes! That's brave of you! If you get arrested, make sure you scream "I love KH!!!!!! I love KH!!!!!" loud enough for the reporters to pick up on it ;-)

Seriously, though, check out this site, just in case.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
If DH is on the west coast, is someone available to post your bail?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Mer
Working the Gusset

Yeah, I'd print out the tsa guidelines so you have proof that they're allowed! Good luck!
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote