Old 05-21-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
greenie
Casting On

Knit and purl patterns
I have this great book called the Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches and am attempting the various patterns. Here is an example of how a pattern is presented:

Moss Stitch
Multiple of 2 sts + 1
Drape: Good
Skill: Easy

1st row: K1, *p1, k1, rep from * to end
2nd row: P1, *k1, rep from * to end
3rd row: as 1st row
4th row: as 2nd row

My question is, why don't they list the number of stitches to be multiples of 3 instead of the above. And lastly, whenever I do the second row, that row doesn't seem as snug as the succeeding rows. Basically the pattern turns out only to have a 'holey' and pretty ugly first row.
greenie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well i can answer the first question ...not sure what is causing the second one (though what kind of needles and yarn are you using?)

as far as the multiples goes it doesn't say a multiple of 3 because you are suppose to do a row that is a multiple of 2 plus one more stitch. so for example you will do a row of 22 stitches (11x2) plus one more stitch so 23 stitches total.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Silver
Instepping Out

Brenda's right as far as the multiple of 2 + 1. That is different than a multiple of 3. You'll notice other patterns might say multiple of 9 + 3. So when figuring how many sts to cast on, you'll multiply 9 times say 5 (45), THEN add an additional 3 for 48 sts.

Be sure you're moving the yarn between the needles before and after each stitch. Knit one, move yarn to front, purl one, move yarn to back, etc. Otherwise you'll create yarn overs and when you knit them on the next row, it will create holes. This pattern does not increase or decrease, so you should always have the same number of stitches you started with.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote