Old 05-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
Kilgore_Trout
Ribbing the Cuff

Worsted Wool?
Ok so I have a pattern that calls for worsted wool weight yarn, and size 13 needles, and you're supposed to use 2 strands at once. The problem is that I can only find worsted wool thats thin (like normal yarn thin) and the result I get is very "fishnet like". Extremely loose! Are there thicker yarns that I should be using? The pattern does call for felting at the end, which I've never done before. Does felting get rid of this fish net looseness? Help!
Kilgore_Trout is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
kimmie
Turning the Heel

Sorry, I'm not answering your post, but all I could think of was "fishnet" and "trout" and my mind couldn't get back to the real question...
kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Kilgore_Trout
Ribbing the Cuff

Kimmie, yeah that lands me pretty close to the PETA discussion!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Mer
Working the Gusset

When you felt it, it will pull together quite a bit and fill in all the holes. You can always knit up a little swatch using the 2 strands of the yarn with the size 13 needles and try felting that to make sure that it looks the way you'd like!
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

as u 'felt' the wool will shrink...have u ever had a favorite sweater or something & put it in the washing machine when the washing directions said hand wash only?....the result...your garment becomes much smaller and looks rather like 'felt' as we know it....this is what u r going to be doing in your project, just on purpose. it's an excellent idea to do just as mer said and knit up a swatch with the 2 strands held together as directions say, on your size 13 needs....bind off and felt away. remember, when u r felting and yhour washing machine reaches the agitation phase, check periodically to see if your item has felted and/or shrunk to your satisfaction....sometimes it will not take the entire agitation phase of the washer....sometimes it takes doing it more than once....any help...or did i just confuse u?!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
jodstr2
Instepping Out

I third (fourth?) the felting/loose knit reasons... a lot of the felted patterns I've seen call for big needles. one of my LYSs told me that the loose stitch is necessary so the yarn has sufficient room to "rub upon itself" in the wash.
good luck Kilgore_Trout! I felting!

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:51 AM   #7
Kilgore_Trout
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for your help guys! It sounds like I just need to trust the pattern. I actually only have the size 11 circ, not 13, but I think I'm gonna try it anyways...? My yarn source here in Berlin is less than well stocked with assorted needles, anything bigger than 6mm and you can forget it. And this felting thing should work with any 100% worsted wool yarn, huh?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:47 AM   #8
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

any 100% wool should felt

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
What is it that you are making, Kilgore? Because, if its something that has to fit, like slippers, that needle size is gonna be important. Unless you just dont felt it as much, but then your sts are most likely going to show in the finished product, which kinda defeats the purpose of the felting. Check out the pics in my blog thread of the fiber trends clogs I made....you can see how huge and loose the pre-felted things are, and compare them to the FOs.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #10
MaryB
Turning the Heel

Any 100% wool that is not super washedwill felt. Make sure that the wool is marked "hand wash only".
My other thought is that usually double strands of worsted wool on a size 11 needle should not look really fishnet. It will be slightly loose, but not open weave.
MaryB is offline   Reply With Quote