Old 05-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

SnB & SnB Nation
I have these two books from the library at the moment and I them!! I think they are a fantastic resource - great tips and patterns as well as lots of interesting and fun reading material. Granted I haven't looked at many other knitting books so I don't have much to compare it to, but I give these two books two thumbs up!
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

These are the only two knitting books I own. These books and Amy's videos are how I learned to knit.
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
jodstr2
Instepping Out

SnB is the best basic how-to-knit that I've seen. I learned a lot from that one.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I'm just sad that I have to return them to the library in a few weeks and I don't think I could get away with renewing them over and over (which I would do ) because there's a waiting list for it.

My birthday is in 2 months and I know what I'm asking for!!!

Old 05-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
newtoknit
Casting On

Since this post will probably attract alot of people that have read the books, I have a question about the section where it says (at least, my interpretation of it!) that now that they've taught us to purl, you don't need to purl on circ needles when working stock stitch. Is that right? That you would just continue knit stitch and you will still get the look of stock stitch? That doesn't really make sense to me...but then again, I am blonde! :rollseyes:
newtoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
newtoknit
Casting On

Oh, and I"ll also say that I do really like the SnB book...minus that one particular part that I found confusing. hahaaa.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by newtoknit
Since this post will probably attract alot of people that have read the books, I have a question about the section where it says (at least, my interpretation of it!) that now that they've taught us to purl, you don't need to purl on circ needles when working stock stitch. Is that right? That you would just continue knit stitch and you will still get the look of stock stitch? That doesn't really make sense to me...but then again, I am blonde! :rollseyes:
that is true....when you are knitting in the round...not flat of course
Old 05-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Because u r knitting in the round...in a circle, it acts as if u r knitting back & forth on straight needles, therefore...when u knit in the round u automatically have the St st...if u want garter st when knitting in the round, then i have to knit 1 round, then purl 1 round
knitting in the round is the best...i it!!
I have SnB original, I really didn't have any need for the 2nd...but, i'm addicted to knitting books...ain't no doubt! As a matter of fact, my sweet, sweet man is out at this very moment looking for the book "Socks, Socks, Socks" for me...how lucky am I?!
If u guys r interested in books that cover everything and then some I would recommend the Knitters Bible...full of info from basic to advanced...with a bunch of techniques...all sorts of goodies

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
newtoknit
Casting On

Ok, so is that because you never turn the work? :thinking: Sorry...I just need to get this straight in my head. I'm one of those PAINFUL people that needs to know WHY I'm doing something. :rollseyes:

I've just ordered some circs from ebay and I'm excited to get them so I can use them, since everyone seems to rave about them!

What would happen if I did knit/purl/knit/purl/etc...? Would it look like garter stitch?

~Thanking God right now for this website to get all my questions answered~ :D
Old 05-28-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by newtoknit
Ok, so is that because you never turn the work? :thinking: Sorry...I just need to get this straight in my head. I'm one of those PAINFUL people that needs to know WHY I'm doing something. :rollseyes:

I've just ordered some circs from ebay and I'm excited to get them so I can use them, since everyone seems to rave about them!

What would happen if I did knit/purl/knit/purl/etc...? Would it look like garter stitch?

~Thanking God right now for this website to get all my questions answered~ :D
Yes, because you never turn the work - that's all the explanation I need - if you need more it will have to come from someone smarter than me!!!

If you did knit/purl/knit/purl it would come out like garter stitch.