Old 05-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Phyllis
Casting On

Continental aka German style of knitting
I am trying to learn the Continental aka German style of knitting, when you have the long tail and you knit until you do not have enough of the tail to continue casting on, what do you do with the part that is left, my stitches do not seem to be tight or staying on the needle very well, so help! what am I doing wrong.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

Phyllis, welcome to KH! Have you watched Amy's video on long-tail cast on?? If not, click here. It's fantastic...it's how I learned to cast on. :D
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Hi Phyllis, I couldn't do that long tail cast on for a long time, I was just messing it up. Then one day (I guess I must've been more relaxed or something) it just starting happening. Well, inother words I did it right! It was slow for me at first but now I find I'm really flying with it. I still prefer my knitted on cast on for certain things, like a tighter edge... but if you just do a little spread with your fingers after each cast on you'll tighten it up, if you know what I mean?

I think one of the reasons people use this cast on is for looser edges.
I think...

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Practice the long-tail cast-on and you'll never regret it. And yes, readjust your fingers a little after each stitch to snug it up. The German long-tail cast on is a little trickier and time-consuming, even though some people say it's stretchier. Elizabeth Zimmerman admitted in one of her books that she rarely used anything but the long-tail cast on.

Just make sure that you have a long-enough tail. When I have a lot a stitches to cast on, I sometimes use two balls, one as the "main" ball and one as the "tail." When the cast-on is done, I just cut off the extra ball.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Ingrid, that is SUCH a good idea! I recently had to frog a 300-st cast on 3 times because I didnt have enough tail!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

DAMN! That is INGENIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could probablly use both ends of the same ball, too.

yay Ingrid!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I like this forum!
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
This forum likes you, dear.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
*ekgheiy rushes out of the room to get her knitting and try Ingrid's marvelous suggestion*

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:41 AM   #10
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

Hm, I've never tried using two balls... I'm intrigued.

Another way to sort of gage how much tail you'll need is to cast on 10 stitches, mark where your yarn usage stops (if you don't have too much of your tester tail left, just trim it close to the needle for easy marking), then undo and measure how much was actually used. Then you'll know roughly how much tail you'll need for ten stitches, times how many stitches you need, etc...

So: 10 stitchs needed 3 yards of tail from the slip knot (I use a slip knot, some people don't), and I need 300 stitches, so 300 total stitches / 10 test stitches = 30 repeats of 10, so 30 repeats of 3 yards = 30 * 3 = 90 yards of tail.

Add a little extra for good measure and you'll know about how much you'll need.
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote