Old 05-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
jiajial
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to jiajial
Seeking for help.
Dear friends,

I am a Chinese girl. I currently study in Edinburgh, Scotland. My fiance gave up his job in China and came to stay with me in Scotland. I love him very much, and I thought it would be nice if I could knit him a pair of gloves.

However, I have never done something like this before. The toughest project I have done was knitting him a scarf. He absolutely loved it. However, tell you the truth, I even did not do the binding off right. I just learnt the proper way from this web site.

Now, I have bought a leavelet which teaches me how to knite the gloves. The problem is it is too professional to me. :rollseyes: I just do not understand 90% of them.

I wonder if someone would like to help me. The leavelet says:
Gloves
Tension 24 sts and 30 rows to 10cm (41n), over stocking stich on 3 3/4 mm needles or the size to give correct tension. What is tension?

Right Hand
Using 3mm needles cast on 33 [37:41:45] sts. What does this mean?
1st Row. K1, *p1,k1,rep from * to end. (Knit 1, purl 1, knit 1, and repeat purl 1 and knit 1 until the end, right?)
2nd Row, *p1, k1 rep from * to last st, p1.
These 2 rows will now be referred to as 1x1 rib. ???????
Work in 1x1 rib for 5 [5:6:6] cm (What does this mean?), (2[2:2 1/2: 2 1/2] in), ending with a rs row. ( I am totally lost here)
Next Row. Rib 6, Pick up loop between last and next st and work into the back of this loop (this will now be referred to as m1). (rib 5[6:7:8], m1) 4 times, rib 7, 38 [42:46:50] sts.
Change to 3 3/4mm needles and proceed as follows:-
1st row. knit
2nd row, purl ( these is English. )
These 2 rows will now be referred to as st-st (stocking stitch).
Working in st-st (throughout) work
4 rows. **

.... There is more and more regarding the thumb and each fingers ... I am going to :crying: .... I do not know how to finish this ....

Please help me. Please show me how to read these.... THanks.

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,

Jiajia
jiajial is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Tension is just another way of saying gauge. Check out Knitty's Swatch Out! for checking your gauge. The article is very detailed, but that's okay; I think it will give the basic idea.

Quote:
Using 3mm needles cast on 33 [37:41:45] sts.
This simply means to cast on the specified amount of sts use your size 3mm needles. Amy has videos for all basic techniques here.

Quote:
1st Row. K1, *p1,k1,rep from * to end. (Knit 1, purl 1, knit 1, and repeat purl 1 and knit 1 until the end, right?)
Yep! You got it

Quote:
These 2 rows will now be referred to as 1x1 rib. ???????
The patterns is just telling you an abbreviation for the 2 rows you've just knit. So instead of continually writing out these rows, they'll just be referred to as 1x1 rib. A 2x2 rib = K2, P2 across. A 3x3 rib = K3, P3 across. The number just refers to how many repeats of the same st will form the rib. Check out Knitting.About to see different types of ribs.

Quote:
Work in 1x1 rib for 5 [5:6:6] cm (What does this mean?) (2[2:2 1/2: 2 1/2] in), ending with a rs row. ( I am totally lost here)
Continue to knit rows 1 and 2 until the work measures 5 cm.

5[5:6:6] just refers to the different size gloves. For example, small[med:large:extra large]. The "2[2:2 1/2..."etc doesn't make sense to me. It looks like some instructions may be missing. When it says to end on a rs row, that means right side row. Right side means whatever side will be facing out when the glove is worn. The pattern should specify which row is the rs row.

Quote:
Next Row. Rib 6, Pick up loop between last and next st and work into the back of this loop (this will now be referred to as m1). (rib 5[6:7:8], m1) 4 times, rib 7, 38 [42:46:50] sts.
Rib 6 = (k1, p1) repeat this three times. Watch Amy's Video for the "pick up loop between etc... " instruction.

It sounds like you may need a pattern reading tutorial. I think the Coats & Clark CD is decent for this. You may want to also check out Amy's abbreviation page; I think it will give you a better understanding of instructions found in patterns.

Good luck!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
If you have a pattern that gives direction for multiple sizes, they list it like this:

5[5,6,7]

Before you start to knit, it is very helpful to carefully read the pattern and circle the numbers for the size you are making.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you have only knitted a scarf before, gloves are extremely ambitious. How about a hat? Take on projects that are easy at first, then gradually harder and you will learn how to knit AND understand what you are doing. I don't think he came all the way to Scotland for your knitting! Buy him some gloves and learn to knit in a way that you will enjoy and come to love. Eventually you'll be able to make anything.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
SimplyKaar
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ekgheiy
Quote:

Quote:
Work in 1x1 rib for 5 [5:6:6] cm (What does this mean?) (2[2:2 1/2: 2 1/2] in), ending with a rs row. ( I am totally lost here)
Continue to knit rows 1 and 2 until the work measures 5 cm.

5[5:6:6] just refers to the different size gloves. For example, small[med:large:extra large]. The "2[2:2 1/2..."etc doesn't make sense to me. It looks like some instructions may be missing. When it says to end on a rs row, that means right side row. Right side means whatever side will be facing out when the glove is worn. The pattern should specify which row is the rs row.
I think the "2[2:2:2]" are the measurements in inches. They do it earlier in that pattern aswell when it says "Tension 24 sts and 30 rows to 10cm (41n).
It sould be `4 inches` which is about equal to 10 cms...

sincerely,

Karen.

_____
The Mod Squad was here.
SimplyKaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I say do gloves if that's what you want to do! The only "bad" thing that could happen is that you have to rip it out if you make a mistake... and then at least you will have learned something, anyway! Just a matter of following the directions, and it sounds like you already are doing a good job. KH is ready to help if and when you need it. And take a picture if you can; we'd love to see!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
You can do it. Just follow the directions and ask us when you get confused.

If you decide that you can't do it, mittens are easier than gloves. :D