Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to brookenic Send a message via Yahoo to brookenic
insert needle in dest. row?
I watched Amy's video on inserting your needle into your destination row then frogging back to there. I'm still confused. I made the scarf with a hole in it from Knitty Gritty and made a mistake. So I started unknitting when I should have frogged. Now the purple mess is just sitting in the corner,literally.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

I guess I forgot to add my question. Any one have any tricks or tips on this? Thank you
Old 06-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
ya know i read this thread last night at some hour of the day that a girl whose alarm goes off at 6am shouldn't have been awake. I don't know the answer to your destionation row question but i do have a question about the pattern...

i don't get it...what is the point of knitting a hole in the scarf? I mean i think i understood the pattern (btw...watching that video didn't help me at all...i was verrrrrrry confused after the video) but i didn't understand why they were saying that it would be more secure if you knitted a hole into it. what did i miss that wasn't shown in the video?

btw...i love that woman's cross over scarf i just can't get mine to look neat...makes me sad...sniffle
Old 06-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Aby
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via ICQ to Aby Send a message via AIM to Aby Send a message via Yahoo to Aby
I saw that episode and what they were suggesting was that the wearer would tuck one end of the scarf through the hole and that would keep it from slipping off... like say for a child. So you don't have to tie it really because having slid one end through the hole, locks it in place... didn't make much sense to me either because I figured "okay.. children tend to play rough and one tiny little hole isn't going to keep THAT on his or her neck"
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
aaaaaaaaaah well that makes more sense to me. I thought the pattern looked easy enough after i figured out what she was talking about in the video but i thought the same thing about the cross over scarf...lol

thank you for explaining that...and i apologize brooke because i know you are going to see a bunch of responses and assume there is an answer to your question...sorry for the little hijack there!
Old 06-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

That's ok about the hijacking. The one end through the hole really does hold the scarf on. Although I haven't made any for small children.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #7
Julie
Instepping Out

Brooke, the only tip I have is to practice...the first time I reinserted my needle I totally screwed it up, the next time not so much, and so on. I'm relatively confident doing it now, and all those screw-ups helped me learn what not to do.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Last night I found myself having to take out about 6 rows of 294 stitches. I didn't want to risk not being able to get all the loops, so this is what I do in that case:

I insert a thinner, long cable needle into one side of each stich all the way around my knitting at the point I need to frog to. To be clearer, each stitch has two parts of the V. I pick up the V on the right. When my needle has picked up all the way around, I unravel. If you have a stripe or color pattern to follow, this makes it easier. Occasional, like last night, you insert into the wrong row's stitch. At that point I slip the stitches to that point and tink it off. I keep doing this all the way around and there I am. . .

back to where I started the stupid colors and didn't follow the directions properly and thought I was making such great progress and why don't I pay closer attention when starting the foundation row I do this everytime. . . . . . .
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
Kilgore_Trout
Ribbing the Cuff

I also recently had to take out a lot of knitting and opted to frog, it was my first time and I was totally nervous! My trick was to insert a tapestry needle and a different colored yarn into my destination row. It was a lot easier than trying to squeeze the needle in there and still see what I was doing. After the yarn was in my destination row I checked it carefully to make sure it was all ok (also easier with the yarn instead of the needle), and then once I was sure it was correct I just followed the yarn with my needle. It worked perfect the first time!
Kilgore_Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

Thank you all. I give it a try.