Old 06-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Zeeby's Bag (S 'n B) -- in the round??
I'm making the Zeeby's Bag from Stitch 'n Bitch for my sister. I want to do it in the round and am pretty sure I know how. The bottom of the bag and up the sides are one piece in the pattern, so I figure I can just knit the bottom flat, then pick up stitches around placing markers along the way so I can do garter stitch up the sides and stockinette for the front and back. Make sense??

So here's my dilemma. I want to do the bottom and up the sides in one color, and the front and back in another. How is this possible in the round? Would I have to re-join and break yarn EVERY ROUND???? There must be an easier way, or maybe no way.

Hints??
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
The first time around the yarn goes to the other end of that color, right?

The second round, knit to the color change, slip the 'new color' stitches, knit a few into the next section , trap the yarn from the front color then slip back to the first stitch of the new color, purl those, the slip everything back. Get it? I posted an intarsia in the round somewhere, which also covers it. It's something I recently learned and I was SO HAPPY
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
VickiIL
Turning the Heel

I wish I would have thought to do it in the round. I did this bag...Have all the pieces knitted and it sits in my project basket just waiting to be sewed together.
VickiIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I'm having a hard time envisioning this. I think your directions make sense to me Ingrid, but a few more questions.

The bag is basically a rectangle, two long sides in my main color (I'm going to make it approx 12") and two very short sides in my contrast color(approx 2"). So obviously I can't carry my yarn from one contrast section to the next because that would waste a lot of yarn. So I'm thinking I will need to use two balls of contrast yarn, one for each side of the bag. Is this right??? And what about my main color? I'm thinking that I can knit up to the color change in my main color, then carry the yarn over that short section to the other side of main color....but then I'll have all these rows of loose yarn draped across on the inside of the bag, know what I mean???

Am I making ANY sense here??

(By the way, I'm finding that knitting is very good for brain function -- it keeps me on my toes, especially since most of the rest of my day involves changing diapers, naps for the kids, playgrounds, etc......pretty no brainer stuff!!! )
Old 06-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

OK I'm trying to work this out, but no matter what I come up with you end up with your mc yarn in the wrong place since it's not a part of the stripe. When I did it on my sweater, it was part of a blue and white snowflake, so both stiches traveled across the pattern. I know this will keep me up tonight, and I will try to work out a solution. (I take care of my g'kids so my much older brain is a bit fried, too.) It has become my mission. I'll get back to you.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Old 06-11-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

OK, I broke out my shortest circs and tried this. I can figure knitting things out better if I actually try it. The only way I can see to do this without loops of mc across the back of the stripe is to incorporate the main color into the stripe itself. I tried with a speckled pattern and it looked nice. The first row is easy. You just have a ball of cc at each stripe and take turns with the colors across the stripe, then continue around with the mc. The next round is where you have the problem. The cc is at the wrong end. At this point you would knit the mc stitches and slip the cc stitches, turn, purl the cc stitches and slip the mc stitches you just knit and then slip the whole lot back. You would only have to do this every other row, when the cc yarn is at the wrong end of the stripe. If you want the stripe to be a solid color and you want to knit in the round, you'd have to loop the mc yarn across the back of the stripe every other row. You could trap it when you knit the row where the cc stripe is in the right place. WHEW!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Wow Ingrid, thanks for all the help. I think this is something I'm going to have to experiment a bit with too. I still can't quite envision it, though the theory is there, it will (hopefully) become clear when I actually do it. One thing I am for sure unclear about is...are you suggesting using my strand of main color and my strand of contrast color together for the stripe? (ie. double strand?). I think that's a neat idea, just wanted to be sure that's what you meant. Here I go to experiment....

:XX:
Old 06-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #8
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Ingrid, I just looked at Amy's intarsia video, and though it seems like the in the round method as you describe is somewhat different to what she shows because she's working flat, there's all the business about twisting the yarns over when you change colors, etc. and I'm wondering if this also applies in the case of doing it in the round?
Old 06-12-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

OK, when I said to use both yarns in the stripe, I meant one at a time, alternating colors the way you would alternate stitches for a seed stitch. One row could be ababab and the next could be bababa and you would end up with a speckle. Or you could do a stripe, or you could make a thin MC stripe in the cc stripe, but you would get some small loops every other stripe.

As for the intarsia directions, they would still apply as you go from one color to another so you don't get a hole. You're still doing intarsia, just only on the knit side.

I found that actually doing it in the round really solidified it for me once I kind of understood the theory behind it.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:48 AM   #10
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

I let you know tomorrow how it comes out. I'm just about at the picking up stitches stage and then I'll be experimenting away!! Maybe it won't be as tricky as I imagine it to be.