Old 06-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
"sock people"...help please
Hi all you other sock knitters. I have done several baby and a couple of "big girl" socks now just using the basics from Silvers SOCK TUTORIAL and then a toe up baby pattern. I have started another tadult toe up pair, using all the sizing etc. stuff I have learned.

Sooooo, this time I would like to try something different for the heel. I have seen many different styles and wonder if more experienced sock knitters could comment. What should I try next? Thanks!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
feministmama
Instepping Out

Hmm.... I like using the top down method with the k1 sl 1 across the heel. But there's that magic loop business if you wanna try something new. Also using two circs (or is that the same as magic loop?) How about using some self striping yarn? Knit picks has some fabulous stripy sock yarn for a reall good price. Good luck!
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
oshnpashn
1st Leg of the Journey

Ditto Feministmama. I LOVE the k1 sl1 heel. It makes a really nice textured look and feels "cushy" according to my DD. The 2 circs is awesome, and I do love using DPNs but was looking to try a new technique. Right now the socks i'm doing are using Cascade fixation and it's a great yarn to use. A little stretchy but works up great.
oshnpashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Soxy
Ribbing the Cuff

Kemp what type of heel did you do on your last toe up sock? There are only two that I know of, the short row heel and E. Zimmerman's After thought heel.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?islandknitter
Soxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #5
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

This is a pdf site with a different kind of heel. They are called socks with a Jojo heel.

I also thought knitting two socks on circs via magic loop looks pretty cool as already suggested. Here is the link for it.

Finally, Elizabeth Zimmerman has a neat method of knitting socks in her book Knitters' Almanac. Amy has a thread about it, with pictures, here.

Good luck!
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:06 AM   #6
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am looking forward to trying socks on the one or two circular method, but I am waiting for the longer cords for my denise set to arrive at the moment. Next pair

It seems like when I had some sock books out from the library, that there were several types of heels...maybe I am just remembering that wrong. At any rate, I'll probably try one of the ones you guys already suggested.

One question though...I was looking at the pdf for the jojo heel....what is a "double stitch"?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:04 AM   #7
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I thought I remember the PDF having instructions for that double st....

If I were you, Kemp...I wouldnt use cords that are TOO long. Im doing mine on 29" needles, and they can get a bit unwieldy. I would make up some 24's.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by KellyK
I thought I remember the PDF having instructions for that double st....

If I were you, Kemp...I wouldnt use cords that are TOO long. Im doing mine on 29" needles, and they can get a bit unwieldy. I would make up some 24's.
I'll have to take another look at the .pdf...I may have missed it.

I agree with you on that for the two circular method.

I got teh longer cords so I could try the magic loop method...using one set of needles with a LONG join. The one tutorial I read on it said that she would not use anythng shorter than a 40". Have you tried the one circular yet? The new cords were only about $3 each from wild and wooly, so it wan't a huge investment.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
Soxy
Ribbing the Cuff

Kemp there are several different types of heels for top down but I think there are only the two for toe up. I don't know if anyone has managed a heel flap type of heel going toe up. If they have I would love to hear about it.

The top down ones that I know of are: sl st heel st, eye of the partridge, and putting cable, intarsia or fair-isle sts in the heel; the other changes are usually how the heel is turned.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?islandknitter
Soxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Hi guys, if I may...my suggestion is that you give Soxy your ear (actually..I just mean listen to her!) when it comes to knitting socks (or anything...lol) because after she looked at my socks she said 'I notice that you did a wedge heel and a grafted toe' and I didn't even know I had done such things, nor did I know what they were...I had just knitted the pattern! Soxy, in my humble opinion is the Queen of knitting the socks (like I said...and everything else I've seen that she has knit)
I'm not at all discounting any suggestions that any of you guys have made; all great ones for stirring up a different way to construct the sock
Ya'll have a fun day!!
Chat with ya later!!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote