Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
willowmom
Ribbing the Cuff

yarn for projects/projects for yarn and Trio bag
Hi everyone,

Iíll bet this question has come up, but I couldnít find it so here I goÖ

As an inexperienced knitter I keep finding myself looking at patterns and wanting to use different yarns, or, finding yummy yarns and not sure how they would work with particular patterns. How do I figure out what works with what?

For example, I ordered online (and just received) some mohair yarn/bulky weight. It was very beautiful by itís picture, and itís very pretty sitting on my desk, but two things are troubling me about it. (1) I bought it to make a cable scarf for my husband, but not that Iím looking it it I wonder if you can do a cable with something hairy like that or if would just look weird, and (2) I find it to be a little itchy and donít think the hubster would wear something that wasnít soft and luscious.

Another example (not that you need one, but itíll save me a different post). Iíve been wanting to make the Trio bag, but I donít want to use the Trio yarn. I found something very beautiful and soft and I almost bought it, but than I started to wonder if Iíd have the same results. Is the Trio yarn stiffer? Does the Trio bag actually maintain its round shape on its own if just sitting on a table? Would I achieve that same shape with a softer yarn?

I know one of the answers will be to look at the weight of the yarn (either name or number) but oftentimes, that information is not on the label.

This has been rattling in my mind for a while, but it took on a different level this weekend. I just finished my poncho that I have been working on for the last 2 months. I did knit a gauge, but I didnít used the recommended yarn that had a little elastic in it. I just used cotton. It came out okay, but itís about 2 times larger than I am. Itís supposed to sit off the shoulder, but itís about 2 ft too large!!! Instead of casting on the suggested 252 sts, I should have done about 150 (and finished a month ago).

Is this too rambly? Is anyone following me?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well i can answer the question about the Trio bag i think...or at least part of it. The trio yarn is not stiff at all. In fact it is a flat yarn that is about a quarter inch wide and a centimeter thick. The biggest struggle i have had with it (which has been negligable but still a bit frustrating when i have been tired) is that sometimes the needle goes straight through the yarn. it is kind of meshy i guess...definitely stretchy.

someone on here (and i am sorry i don't remember now who it was) sent me a message and said that she frogged her entire trio bag because it doesn't stand firm at all when it isn't full. As it happens, my bags tend to be stuffed to the brim with knitting and other stuff i need to survive...but no it doesn't sound as though it stands on its own. feeling the yarn as i am working it, i can see how that is likely.

someone else was looking for a substitution for this yarn (i happen to love the colors but that green is one of my absolute favorites so it makes sense that i would use it) and the suggestion that was made was to look at something else that you might want to use and see if the gauge is the same. I think the lion brand Thick and Quick Chenille was suggested and i think it would make a very good substitution for it.

if i didn't have about 4 other bags i want to make after i finish this one, i would certainly make another one in that yarn too!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Unfortunately I think part of it is just experience, when it comes to switching out yarns. I am with you though, i hate the fact that these patterns tend to be one yarn only!

With respect to the yarn that you got and you arent sure about.....if you really dont think you like it, either send it back or ebay it. Life is too short to hang on to mistakes. Last night I was looking through my stash, and I have several "what was I thinking" purchases....I plan on doing a major ebay sale of both yarn and fabric in the next few weeks....stop feeling guilty about buying a boo boo....and the stuff that can't be sold? Well, I gonna donate it darn it!!!
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote