Old 06-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Is there any tricks to knitting w/ 2 yarns?
At one time? I love the effect, but hate doing because it always gets tangled and twisted. I feel like I am untwisting more than knitting. Anyway to make this smoother? I am knitting w/ cones at the moment (but I have the same problem no matter how the yarn is...)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I your yarns are twisting, its because you're twisting them. Boy that sounded dumb. There is no need to twist yarns. I do fair isle and intarsia, and once upon a time everything got twisted, but not anymore.

There are ways to 'catch' your yarn on the back without twisting, and if you use bobbins for intarsia, sometimes they get twisted, but not to the point where its a real pain.

I absolutely love knitting with colors and rarely do anything else. The fair isle pattern books all have how-to's in the front, too.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Hmmm...I've only knit with two-at-once once. I don't recall having too much of a problem, I might have put each in their own plastic bag. I would think cones wouldn't be a problem - I can't picture how they are tangling - are the cones moving around? Do you have a ball winder? Maybe if you wind the yarns together first, it won't be so frustrating when you go to knit. You can get frustrated first while winding!

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Quote:
I your yarns are twisting, its because you're twisting them. Boy that sounded dumb. There is no need to twist yarns. I do fair isle and intarsia, and once upon a time everything got twisted, but not anymore.
Well how do you get around it then? Everytime I wrap it around my fingers... of heck everytime I wrap it around a needle it twists. Just a tiny, tiny bit... but it all adds up.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
I havent had to worry about the twisting issue...with the amazing afghan or with scarves, the look I was going for was twisted.

What I do when I use more than one yarn.....i roll each one up into a ball and stick it in its own baggy......then I put the baggies into a tote......and just pull from there! Voila!!!
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuno930
Quote:
Well how do you get around it then? Everytime I wrap it around my fingers... of heck everytime I wrap it around a needle it twists. Just a tiny, tiny bit... but it all adds up.
I meant that the colors don't have to twist around each other when you knit with two yarns. You keep one above the other the same way all around and they don't get all twisted up.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
eh...mine twists because of the way i hold the yarn. i just got use to dangling to untangle. i need to learn a better way of holding my yarn but it works for my tension so... *shrug*
Old 06-20-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Quote:
i just got use to dangling to untangle.
yeah, I think I'll stick with this. No other sugestions are making sense to me. :thinking:
Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
Hey! Would something like this help you? I've never tried it, but a knitter in my group likes hers. I saw this as I was browsing at Knit Picks...

scroll down to yarn guide: http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/tools_home.asp?wci=accessory_list&searchtype=Categ ory&categories='4223'&titleName=Yarn%20Management

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote