Old 06-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Celtic Cables?
Ummmm, are these hard? I know it is all relative... but consider I am an advance beginner to intermediate knitter and I've never done a cable. Am I insane to try these? I mean I would at least try a normal cable first...

http://www.girlfromauntie.com/patter...mpleceltic.php

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I did a pillow with a Celtic knot cable on it (wanted to do the knot, not the whole sweater). The chart was a little different, because there are spaces where there are no stitches. I've trained myself to follow directions blindly and it came out really nice. Reading a cable chart for the first time can be difficult, though. It helps to have some experience with cables so you can look at the symbol and know what they mean rather than having to look at the explanations every time. On the other hand, what have you got to lose?
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
umm...your mind? that chart scares me!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

Cables are so easy. They're the easiest thing you can do to make your knitting look complicated. But shhh! Don't tell anyone!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos

Last edited by Silver : 05-23-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Nuno, you can do it! Just practice on something that isn't a sweater or "important" project first. Pick some yucky yarn in your stash that you klnow you're not going to use and just dive in. That chart DOES look scary but I think if you just sit down and do it, it will turn out fine. Print out the chart and use a highlighter, that's what I'd do. I learned cables from stitch and bitch, and silver is right: they are SO easy, and people are always impressed by them becasue they look complicated! Once you do one you'll be mad that you didn't try it before.

I just tried to print the chart and directions from the website and they didn'tcome out too good, so I saved the pictures and created a word document, which is MUCH easier to read (i enlarged everything). If anyone wants it, PM me your email and I'll send it over!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
MaryB
Turning the Heel

I have been doing cables for quite a while and I hate charts. This is probably just me, but I prefer working from directions that spell out with words---not symbols----what I am to do. I guess it all depends on how you learn to cable. I'm stuck in a rut!!
MaryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by MaryB
I have been doing cables for quite a while and I hate charts. This is probably just me, but I prefer working from directions that spell out with words---not symbols----what I am to do. I guess it all depends on how you learn to cable. I'm stuck in a rut!!
I like charts so I know for sure that I'm where I'm supposed to be by looking at the row below, at least until the pattern starts to show itself more clearly. I also find that I can glance over at it to see what's next rather than having to find which row/direction I'm on.

I guess that's why you can find patterns both ways--this way everybody's happy! :D
Old 06-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
kimmie
Turning the Heel

I hadn't done anything with cables other than the irish hiking scarf and then I found a lovely pattern for a sweater with a big complex celtic knot in the center. I thought it would be confusing, but I just took it row by row and it all made sense as I got to that point. Turned out lovely.
kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by MaryB
Chart seem easy for me to read. I am thinking all that cross stitching is paying off pretty well for me now!

I think I am gonna try it! I would like to use the celtic cable for the coronet hat for DH. Anyone see an issue with that?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I think that would be a great one to start with--get the hang of the cables without a huge project to worry about.