View Poll Results: How Much did you learn from the videos?
From cast on to bind off - I learned it all here 50 30.86%
Knew very basics... videos got me moving! 55 33.95%
Knew beginner stuff, videos helped me with advanced techniques 41 25.31%
Pretty much had it all down, used videos to refresh my memory, but learned a new skill or two 14 8.64%
Naw, I am an old pro! I came here for the company 0 0%
Huh, Amy has videos?!?!?! 2 1.23%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2005, 12:55 AM   #1
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Curious- How much did Amy's videos teach you?
Just thought it would be fun to see... and an ego boost for Amy to see how much her videos helped her peeps learn to knit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuno930 For This Useful Post:
Doodknitwit (02-20-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

oh good. I'm glad I didn't do something smark-alecky like I usually do!
Old 06-29-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
Julie
Instepping Out

I'm actually sort of in between the first two...I had been knitting for a day or two when I came here in desperation and Amy's videos taught me to cast on the right way and knit continental-style instead of all that crazy throwing business. I'd definitely credit Amy with teaching me how to knit! (Thanks, Amy!)
Old 06-29-2005, 01:10 AM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i took a class and learned how to cast on and knit....finished the scarf i was working on there by the end of the weekend and wanted to do something else. Found another site that has fairly good basic videos purling and binding off (though never explains what to do with that last loop...sheesh) and learned how to do that there. then decided that there has to be more out there because while their videos were okay, the site was bad. did another google search and there Amy was...i have pretty much been stalking the site ever since and always come here when i want to figure out something i haven't done before!

THANKS AMY!!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
amp926
1st Leg of the Journey

My grandmother taught me to crochet and I became frustrated that I couldn't find any fun crochet patterns. All the patterns that looked like something that I might actually wear/use were knit patterns. So one day I thought... let me seach online to see if I can teach myself to knit. I stumbled across this website and sat in front of the computer watching her videos for like an hour..... This place is amazing!!!!

Thank you Amy!
amp926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:37 AM   #6
roofth
Casting On

Send a message via ICQ to roofth Send a message via AIM to roofth Send a message via Yahoo to roofth
ditto what everyone said above... these videos have been so helpful (i'm constantly on the increases/decreases page, trying to remind myself of certain things and learning new ones as well)!! i've referred a number of friends here and it has helped them tremendously too... thanks amy!! =)
roofth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 AM   #7
Aby
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via ICQ to Aby Send a message via AIM to Aby Send a message via Yahoo to Aby
I bought a book called the "Encyclopedia of Knitting" and all it did was remind me how to cast on. So I kept trying to knit a couple rows and kept screwing up and it always looked like crap. I put my stuff down and didn't touch it for months. In that time, I searched and searched for anything to help me and FINALLY stumbled onto this site. I must have watched her videos 3 times each that night and it all CLICKED! I immediately sent Amy this email and stayed here as a member.
Quote:
Email:
I just wanted to tell you that I began knitting again after learning the basics as a small child. I'm now 32 and picked up where I left off.. the very basics. I bought several books. I watch "knit one purl two" and "knitty gritty" religously, on diy network and I am constantly surfing the net for sites to help me, since I don't have any crafty friends, locally. I've avoided the hard stuff because I could never get any kind of CLEAR look at what they were doing. The people demonstrating were either too fast, failed to explain properly, or they just didn't show the demonstration long enough.

I stumbled onto your site from a blog, that I also stumbled onto. BRAVO! In one night, of watching your videos, I learned to do every step, with the exception of the sock heel, on your site. I have to say you are an amazing teacher. I think some people need a little more hand holding than others, but if they were learning from you, I have no doubt they would get it on their first try. Your comments like "that's all there is to cables" really fill me with the confidence to go and try it myself. Your video's are very detailed and you explain things so well. I look forward to more instructions. Thank you so much for helping me learn the more complex side of knitting.

Your Student
Jeanie Healy (middle name, DH calls me Jeanie)
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I'm with Julie....

Back in February I had some kind of weird HOBBY EPIPHANY and decided for no real reason (maybe making Howie a sweater was in the back of my mind) that I wanted to learn to knit.

I bought the Art of Knitting DVD and a "learn to knit" kit.

The DVD taught me to cast on (by knitting on) and to knit.

When I stumbled across KH, I found out I was knitting "combined" and I learned the long-tail CO.

Then I learned EVERYTHING ELSE I KNOW here!

Amy understands the best way to learn....one needs to SEE the motion, CLOSE UP! (Did you all know that she is HUGGING the video cam's tripod as she knits for those videos??? I finally had to ask one day....) And, yes, her commentary makes things CRYSTAL clear.

Not to mention the community she has created! Such FRIENDS I have made here! Knitters are just GOOD PEOPLE, arent they??

I have been SO grateful for the opportunity to become a part of this place and give a little back through my modship. *tissue*

This thread was an AWESOME idea, Nik!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

*hands another tissue to Kelly* :D

Amy's videos helped me TREMENDOUSLY! I was taught by my friend, but I didn't want to bug her every evening when I was knitting and having troubles, so I kept Amy's site bookmarked and opened!

Yay for Amy!!!!

I'm selwynne on ravelry
Carol_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
Julie
Instepping Out

Quote:
I must have watched her videos 3 times each
Only three times??

I referred my friend here and we both agreed that one of the best things about video is that you can watch them 1,000 times, or until you "get it." Whereas when a live person is teaching you they might get irritated if you ask them to do somthign for the 1,000th time.